Thread: Cogged Pulleys and Boost.

Cogged Pulleys and Boost.

I am soon to be putting together my engine.
    Its a 5.7 LS1, with a YSi. However, the pulleys I have been supplied with are 50mm Gilmer, 86T crank, and 34T SC which they claim will be about 9psi.

Does this sound right ??

I just have a bad feeling that with such a big crank pulley, im going to end up with a lot more than 9psi ??

Most other crank pulleys on different engines are only about 77T or thereabouts, with similar SC pulleys.

At 6,000 RPM, the blower will be spinning at around 52,350 rpm's. My 8 rib setup with 8" and 3" had the blower spinning at 55,000 rpm's at 6,000 rpm, not considering any slippage, and made about 16-17 psi. And this to was on a 351. I would say those cogs would net around 15-16 psi, since there will be no slippage.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

I calculated the rpm's myself, and I thought them to be rather high considering the size of the supercharger.
    I would have thought at 9psi, it would have been spinning much slower. CAPA in Australia supplied the parts, so i would have though the knew what they were doing..

I take it that its experience that decides what sizes to use for a certain level of boost, having tried and tested various pulleys ??

Initial spec will be LS1, ported heads, LPE GT2-3 cam, MAC headers ( assuming I can get them to fit ), and the YSi, + fuel system to suit, forged pistons, on an otherwise stock bottom end, CR should be aboout 8.0:1, and a good IC obviously
    Pump fuel only.