Thread: ?'s about SN 93 kit performance.

Junior SCH Member

?'s about SN 93 kit performance.

Hey guys,this is my first post.Mt name is Mario,I have a 65' Mustang fastback with a 289 with about 8.7:1 CR.I am probably going to pick up a SN-93 kit in the next couple of weeks.My questions are,are they noisy???I like the gear whine(already have a gear drive).How do they compare to the Novi 1200 kit as far as performance.Im looking to get about 8-10#'s of boost.As far as the carb,is there anything special that needs to be done to it.I have Holley 750 vac. sec with milled choke horn and Summit 140 GPH elec. pump.

Thanks for any help.

Senior SCH Member
    Totally silent. A novi 1000 is about the same peormance level, with the 1000 having perhaps a little more room to grow, I'd say. The 2000 will flat blow the SN 93 away for flow but, it's designed to flow to a much higher level of specific output. Apples and oranges.

Seal the throttle shafts, box the carb and go with mech secondaries. That should safely cover that.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    QUOTE=F=MA]Totally silent. A novi 1000 is about the same peormance level, with the 1000 having perhaps a little more room to grow, I'd say. The 2000 will flat blow the SN 93 away for flow but, it's designed to flow to a much higher level of specific output. Apples and oranges.
    Seal the throttle shafts, box the carb and go with mech secondaries. That should safely cover that.
    F=MA[/QUOTE]
    I was hoping for a little noise,oh well.How much power can this blower support???I am hoping to get at least 450RWHP @ about 8-10 #'s of boost.[

Senior SCH Member
    I'm running a stock SN on a stock 5.0 so, I haven't pushed it hard. Whether the package will put out 450 horse depends on the pump you're hooking it to. The stock SN axial compressor can support, I'd SWAG, maybe 120 horse max., before heating of the air kills the power. ADI or N2O injection could delay the onset of this. It's best as a street, entry level blower.

The VR4 version can support far more. Questions on that should be directed to those here better informed about that version. The real limitation on these is the speed you're moving the ball drive. 39,000 rpm is the max people here suggest for the SN 93 unit.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    You have to run a carb with mechanical secondaries. You will also need to put in nitrophyl floats as the brass floats will collapse from the pressure. You will also need to get a regulator that increases fuel pressure as the boost increases, such as the Aeromotive unit. I had a carb built by CSU. They are supposed to be the best blow-through carbs that you can get. Most of the blow-through guys preffer the hat over the box. If you go to the blow-through carb board ( a different site) There is alot of useful info.

Junior SCH Member
    Thats the info I was looking for.I will be using the hat over the box,the box is just too big and my car is a Shelby restomod,so looks arent that important(the hat looks better anyways).Is there a way to modify a regular 2 port FP regulator to work as a boost reference?????If I change my vac. sec. to a mechanical(by removing the vac. diaphragm and modifying the linkage,done it before)is it the same??????

Junior SCH Member
    I don't know how you can convert a two port regulator to be boost referenced. I can tell you that having a carb built is the way to go it's not cheap but they do alot of work - milling the base plate, modifying the metering blocks etc. And the jetting is just about right on straight out of the box. I can also tell you that converting a system from a late model Mustang requires alot of work. I put a VR4 on my '67 Fastback. I had to change to a serpentine belt system, which required a new water pump and pulleys. It also required switching to an electric fan due to the lack of space. Then there is the custom intake pipe and I had to switch from a dual plane intake to a single plane. It was alot of work and money, but the car screams.

Junior SCH Member
    Basically im buying one of the kits from Paradise Wheels(Sn92 or 93) with the carb hat.I already have a fuel system that consist of a 140GPH pump and regulator,Vic JR manifold.The kit is supposed to be complete bolt on.Im really trying to do this as cheap as possible(I know,you get what you pay for) so it the kit includes the V belt pulleys and mechanical pump etc.Im just trying to reuse a lot of the stuff I already have because the car has just been repainted and all the holes in the towers and firewall have been smooth and paintedand i would rather not reroute lines,make holes etc.

Junior SCH Member
    If you go to fordmuscle.com they converted a vortech kit for a late model Mustang to fit a '67 Mustang. It shows what is involved. It also shows how much difference a custom built carb makes over one that they built ( over 75 hp). Just search "High on Carbs" on the site.

Junior SCH Member
    thanks,you have any pics of yours?