Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran my Superchip, stock program, on my A9P and it pinged it's nuts off.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

Senior SCH Member
    Was yours a mail order Superchip? This one was a custom burned SCT chip by Ed Clark on the dyno. And then he hung around for quite a few hours afterwards trying to help me figure out what was causing all my detonation. But when we got to the point where he said he STARTS most of his SC tunes and it was still pinging like crazy AND he had richened the A/F up to 11.0:1 we called it quites b/c we figured something else was going on.
    And he knew it was an A9P computer, in fact thats what he said he prefered, so it wasnt a matter of that. I'm just beginning to wondering if something isnt wrong with the computer I have. But with that said, everything seemed on par when it was N/A and when I had nitrous on it. I still dont know but hope to figure it out soon. Thanks again, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

Yeah, mine was just a stock A9P flashed mail order chip. Seems a lilttle bit of similarity in our computer parts. My car always ran lean when it was stock, ran good but very lean. I have to run very retarded timing with the blower. Tried locking out the timing, it didn't run very well, not as much power or throttle response. Does better at 6* and spout put back in.

Maybe trying that other A9P will fix it for you. I have a feeling it won't change anything though.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

Senior SCH Member
    Is this a hyper motor? If so you probibly cracked a piston. Oil out the dip stick is never a good thing. Especially with only 10 #'s of boost. Oil in the combustion chamber kills the octane in your fuel. I believe that I had the same problem with my car. Could not keep a set of head gaskets on the car.
    Do a leak down test and I bet thet the rear cylinders will read low. I have seen this before on a blown Impala, turned out to be a cracked piston.

Eric
    89GT 392 Novi 2000 650/620 Tunned by DynotuneMP :D
    03 10th Anniversary Cobra Vert. 443/451 12.6@113

Senior SCH Member
    Take the chip out and leave it out. Your ECM is good, too much timming. I drove a whole season with my spout out until I could afford a PMS. I had set my base timming to 19 and left it there.

You are saying it runns better with the spout in?

His 91 should have forged pistons like my 90 does.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah, the pistons are forged.

I had a little bit of time to mess with it today and I put my computer back in the car, pulled the spout, and set the timing to about 20* this time. It finally runs about like it should. I may have had a little pinging right before it shifted but it may also have been an exhaust leak. Whatever it was it was very lite. Regardless, I've about decided that either something is wrong with the chip itself or something is wrong on my EEC where the chip attaches.

So for now I am just going to run it like this until I can get the chip back to my tuner to be checked out or reburned. I just wish I knew where my A/F ratio was running without the chip and the spout pulled. Have any of you who run your cars like this ever checked your A/F on the dyno? Do they usually run pretty rich?

Thanks again for all the help, Ryan

Senior SCH Member
    It's not your EEC, it adds timming and that's what usually causes pinging (excessive timming). You will probably need to get some sort of timming control (MSD) and that should fix up your issue. If you are getting a bit of pinging with the spout out, back off your timming, you should be ok with 18-19 deg. I have the same type combo as you (TW heads, 9.3:1 comp, e cam, etc..) and the most I can get is roughly 19 deg with 10 PSI of boost.

Just something for thought.

What is your quench distance? This affects detonation.
    Your cam is not stock yet you do you have stock injector timing?
    With that cam i'll bet your injectors are firing way too late.

Ive seen properly set up engines with 11.0:1 static compress run pump gas with aggressive timing with no detonation.

It could be a combo of these two things that give you detonation so easilly. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by NothinButNotch

So for now I am just going to run it like this until I can get the chip back to my tuner to be checked out or reburned. I just wish I knew where my A/F ratio was running without the chip and the spout pulled. Have any of you who run your cars like this ever checked your A/F on the dyno? Do they usually run pretty rich?

Thanks again for all the help, Ryan
    Sounds like it's too much timing in the chip. Do you have a S/C calibrated meter? 42's i'm guessing? They run really rich like this. mine was 11.0 all the way across and 10.8 from 5800-6250 on my old 302 setup. No chip, 8* initial timing(spout in), and 38psi fuel pressure. No pinging ever. And yes this was with a novi 1000 and 8" crank pulley.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    Well I talked with my buddy at the shop where I got the blower, the chip, and the tune and it turns out they had a batch of 3 chips they recently got in that he just found out 2 were bad. You might guess who has the third chip of that batch?!!! So I hope to have time to go by there tomorrow and reburn another chip to see if that works. So at this point we dont know for sure but he said he wouldnt doubt if something was wrong with the chip I have. Damn chip cost me to waste a week of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that said I am just glad something isnt internally wrong with the motor (except all the damn holes I probably have in the top of my pistons now from all trial runs with detonation). But I drove the car to work today and was so glad just to be able to get on the gas and not have it ping. It obviously doesnt idle like it will with the chip or have great part throttle response but that will hopefully all be fixed soon.

I will post up when I find out for sure if the chip is the issue and how the car runs after we get a chip with a good A/F ratio and timing in the car. Thanks again for all your help guys, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

Senior SCH Member
    Anytime, glad to be of help.