Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New combo advice

Senior SCH Member

Question New combo advice

Need advice on new combo Novi 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have novi 1000 right now, I just ordered the brackets and everything to convert it to the 2000 set up. I will be boring the block .30 over, forged rods, froged crank and forged pistons. I'm running the E-cam now with 1.7 rr's. I have a GT-40 intake, 42lb injectors, 75mm pro-m, 70mm t-body, eledbrock performer RPM"s.

I know that right now I'm running more that .500 lift with the E-cam and 1.7rr's. What cam would you guys suggest with 1.7rr's? And what compression ratio?

I'm going to pulley the 2000 for about 12-14 lbs of boost, what kind of power would you guys estimate this combo to produce(deoending on cam) I also have power pipe too. And a SCT tune. With the heads I have and long tubes and no cats what size pulley would i need the get 12-14 lbs of boost, I know that I will lose boost due to the heads and exhaust?

Thanks, Rusty
    Last edited by allthrottle; 01-04-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allthrottle
    Need advice on new combo Novi 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have novi 1000 right now, I just ordered the brackets and everything to convert it to the 2000 set up. I will be boring the block .30 over, forged rods, froged crank and forged pistons. I'm running the E-cam now with 1.7 rr's. I have a GT-40 intake, 42lb injectors, 75mm pro-m, 70mm t-body, eledbrock performer RPM"s.

I know that right now I'm running more that .500 lift with the E-cam and 1.7rr's. What cam would you guys suggest with 1.7rr's? And what compression ratio?

I'm going to pulley the 2000 for about 12-14 lbs of boost, what kind of power would you guys estimate this combo to produce(deoending on cam) I also have power pipe too. And a SCT tune. With the heads I have and long tubes and no cats what size pulley would i need the get 12-14 lbs of boost, I know that I will lose boost due to the heads and exhaust?

Thanks, Rusty
    Hey is this the same Rusty i just sent the headers and X too?? I'd go to comp cams and check out thier blower and nitrous cams. Some of them are really great. Since you're running the GT-40 intake i wouldn't go crazy on the cam and try to build torque so it will 60', and the Novi 2000 will certainly take care of the top end. You should get those headers tommorow maybe?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Hey is this the same Rusty i just sent the headers and X too?? I'd go to comp cams and check out thier blower and nitrous cams. Some of them are really great. Since you're running the GT-40 intake i wouldn't go crazy on the cam and try to build torque so it will 60', and the Novi 2000 will certainly take care of the top end. You should get those headers tommorow maybe?
    Sorry, what do you want to shift @? Powerpipe? I bet a 3" pulley would put you where you want to be, but i bet it'd be the high side of 14psi.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Senior SCH Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Sorry, what do you want to shift @? Powerpipe? I bet a 3" pulley would put you where you want to be, but i bet it'd be the high side of 14psi.
    Hey Brent! Yes it is me Rusty that you sent the headers and x-pipe too. I got them today, they look geat! I really don't know what I want to shift at right now. With the 3550 I was shifting at 6000rpm. I plan on putting in a C-4. I have a Morpheus pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by allthrottle
    Hey Brent! Yes it is me Rusty that you sent the headers and x-pipe too. I got them today, they look geat! I really don't know what I want to shift at right now. With the 3550 I was shifting at 6000rpm. I plan on putting in a C-4. I have a Morpheus pipe.
    C4=ownage! ;)
    they are the only way to go as far as i'm concerned. I'm glad you're happy with the headers and X.

Here's the link to the cams. I'm building a 351/T-trim/C-4 combo that should get out of it's own way this spring. :D
    http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...TML/76-81.html

I'm running a the Comp 282hr cam but i think it may be a little big now but i'll try it.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the helpful info, and the reply.

Thanks, Rusty

Junior SCH Member
    I was wondering what kind of power & et's you were getting out of your current combo? I'm building almost identical set up with an s trim and powerpipe, Holley intake,pro m 83.

Senior SCH Member
    I never had it dyno'd but the best 1/4 mile et was 11:27, the car is street driven, manual rack, 8 point cage, sub frames, torque box renforcements, 50/50's, 70/30's, Nitto DR's, Drag lites, double adjustable uppers, poly bushings everywhere, race seats, no rear seat, I'm guessing around 450 rwhp, I really don't know, but that is with 10:1 compression.

Junior SCH Member
    Impressive times! Any suggestions as far as base timing and fuel pressure setting?
    By the way, I used to run a 306 with a novi 2k, ported TWheads and an E cam and it ran like a raped ape!

Senior SCH Member
    I'm not at home right now and I can't remember the base timimg, but he fuel pressure is a 37-38 psi with the 42's. But when I get home I'll post the base timing.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which block to run. I really don't want to spent 2500.00 on a Dart but it is worth it in the long run. I plan on keeping the hp to around 500-550 rwhp. That is all I need and hope I can hook at least 500 rwhp. I'm leaning towards the Sportsman 302 with a Forged SCAT crank, I already have the Forged Sportsman rods still in the box with ARP wave lock bolts. I would feel pretty safe with the Sportsman 302, Forged crank and rods. But which Dampener? I think that set up will last for a long time if taken care of. I will probally go with 8:5-9:0 compression. Since I plan on running about 12-14 psi should I go ahead and O-ring the heads or just run Cometic head gaskekts. And does anyone have a reccomendation on a lightweight pistion. I have thought about Black Diamond or JE?

Well i was in the same boat you were a year ago and thats when i decided to go with a 351. If i was set on doing a 302 i'd look for a sportsman, mexican block, or bite the bullet and buy a FRPP block or a Dart. Skip on the o-ring and get cometic's. I'm gonna run them for sure. I'm running the probe pistons but i'm sure they're not the best this out there, and i'm sure they're not the lightest but very cost effective. The powerbond balancers seem to be the best for the $ as well.

Senior SCH Member
    I belive that I will purchase a Sportsman 302 B50 block. I have heard good things about the DSS pro lite as well. On the cam selection would a stock cam with the 1.7 RR's make 500-550 rwhp with 12-14 lbs of boost? Or would I have to rev it above 6000 Rpm?

Senior SCH Member

Thumbs up

Can anyone reccomend a torqye converter? I'm leaning towards the PI Stallion converter in the range of 3000-3500 stall, the car will still be street driven. I will also buy a huge trans cooler as well. Any Reccomendations? As for the trans I have decided on the Mighty Mite M2(fully rollerized) with a trans brake. :animal:
    Last edited by allthrottle; 01-11-2005 at 06:28 PM.

I would certainly run an aftermarket cam for the numbers your going for. You could probably get there though with 112 octane and aggressive timing with the stocker. Get a real mild one and you won't be disapointed. Like the 276HR......it'd be a great match for the intake and lower rpm you want, and it's got the correct LSA for a blower. You might even like the smallest blower cam they have too. As for the C4 i think you'll be pleased with the M2. I've heard alot of good things about it and I think the Dynamic brake is by far the best on the market. I like Coan converters but I've read good things about edge converters too. The converter is the last thing I buy period as i thinks it's about the most important part of a combo. Get the deep tranny pan and run the biggest tranny cooler you can find and it will happy on the street. I run mine about 1/2 in and out of my fan so it pull cool air through it.

Senior SCH Member
    I'm leaning towards going back with a new E-303 and the 1:7rr's, what do you think, or would you go with a custom blower cam or what? I will do some more research on the converter before I purchase one. After the new combo I think I'll leave the 3550 in just to see what kind of #'s I get and to see where the hp meets the torque and I'll make my mind up from there. Thanks for the reply