Thread: lightning maf vs pro-m

92stanglx

lightning maf vs pro-m

I spoke with a tuner yesterday and he said that my pro-m maf calibrated for 42's will have drivability issues at part throttle. He said that these issues can be taken care of by using a 90mm lightning maf instead.

Anyone have any experience with this? My car will be street driven so good drivability is a must.

I have the Lightning meter on my car. My tuner told me this was the way to go for my 42# inj. and it was way cheaper. Just make sure you buy the new pigtail. It has 2 more wires than the old style one and I think the outer pins are the ones you dont use. When Kennedys tuned my car, he used just the injectors, and the FMU isnt being used (yet)

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    There's nothing inherently wrong with the Pro-M meters, likewise a Lightning meter can have its own set of problems, for instance you can't run a Lightning meter without the chip or other tuning device attached.

It is a high quality part for sure, so if you are always going to get it (eec) retuned whenever you change anything in your combo, the Lightning meter is a good way to go.

If whoever is tuning your eec enters the flowbench test data from the flowsheet provided by Pro-M, the Pro-M meters also (usually) work very well. There are certain circumstances where people have problems with the Pro-Ms, mainly with having tight turns in airflow path just before or after the meter, blower calibrations running too rich, etc.

Part of the problem is not the meter quality per se, its that the pro tuners need to get in, change a few things around, and get you out the door, in the least amount of time possible. They just don't have the luxury of time to keep tweecing on the MAF transfer curve the way us DIY tuners do.
    Chris