Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Should I hear my bypass right before shifts?

Thread: Should I hear my bypass right before shifts?

Senior SCH Member

Should I hear my bypass right before shifts?

I think the sound I am hearing is from my Bosch bypass valve but I thought it was only supposed to relieve pressure when you let off the throttle. The noise I am hearing sounds like a really fast pulse or a whoosh of air. Its coming from the corner under my hood where my bypass valve is so that is what I'm assuming the noise is.
    Anyway, I am hearing this right before my car shifts, seemingly as the rpm's are still rising. I have an AOD by the way. But does the bypass valve see the tranny shift as a "letting out of the gas" or a lessening of load and start to open just prior to a shift? Or is something else going on here. Thanks for any info, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

if you have it hooked properly it should only open when you let off the gas....as long as the vac. line has boost there is no way it should open
    dale@swillracing

Senior SCH Member
    You'll hear it as soon as the car sees vacuum.
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net

Senior SCH Member
    Well good news.... it wasnt my bypass it was my belt slipping. Having never heard belt slip before I didnt know what I was hearing. Unfortunately this wasnt suggested to me as a culprit until right when the track closed today so I didnt get time to tighten the belt and make another pass. But when I got home I tightened it up and went for a spin real quick and sure as hell no more noise and more boost! :) Now I cant wait to get back to the track and with some stickier tires. She went 12.0 @ 116 mph today on 17" street wheels and some DR's. My best 60ft was 1.9 so there is much improvement. So I hoping for mid 11's with some ET Streets on my Weld wheels next time out. Thanks again for the good info fellas, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.

2000 Lightning

Junior SCH Member
    Hey Ryan,
    What type of work did you do on your AOD? Is it a stock AOD with a different valve body?

Thanks,
    Troy
    Quote Originally Posted by NothinButNotch
    Well good news.... it wasnt my bypass it was my belt slipping. Having never heard belt slip before I didnt know what I was hearing. Unfortunately this wasnt suggested to me as a culprit until right when the track closed today so I didnt get time to tighten the belt and make another pass. But when I got home I tightened it up and went for a spin real quick and sure as hell no more noise and more boost! :) Now I cant wait to get back to the track and with some stickier tires. She went 12.0 @ 116 mph today on 17" street wheels and some DR's. My best 60ft was 1.9 so there is much improvement. So I hoping for mid 11's with some ET Streets on my Weld wheels next time out. Thanks again for the good info fellas, Ryan
    1991 LX
    NOVI 1000
    30# injectors, TFS intake, 373 gears, 5speed,70 mm throttle body, Edlebrock heads

Senior SCH Member
    Troy,

I actually didnt have any of it done. The buddy I bought the notchback body from actually sold me the tranny with it for really cheap so I took it (and have actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would). However, I know it does have a hardened input shaft, a different valvebody, a B&M shift kit, a cooler up front, and a higher stall (2600-2800). It is suppose to hold up to 600 HP and knock on wood so far has done just fine for me. I wouldnt mind having a touch higher stall, like a 3000-3200, but probably wont change it unless something goes wrong. I do plan to put in a fully manual Lentech valvebody though sometime in the near future.

Sorry I cant provide you with any specifics but thats the info I have, Ryan
    1991 Notchback

2000 Lightning