Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fan blade/Fan Shroud Clearance with 8 rib pulley setup on 87-93 mustangs (s-trim)

Thread: Fan blade/Fan Shroud Clearance with 8 rib pulley setup on 87-93 mustangs (s-trim)

Senior SCH Member

Fan blade/Fan Shroud Clearance with 8 rib pulley setup on 87-93 mustangs (s-trim)

I was wondering if you guys that had an 8-rib pulley setup with your s-trim's had any clearance issues regarding the stock fan blade hitting the fan shroud, along with the rear stock fan blade hitting the crank pulley

Please note this incident occured on my setup and I am using a GDI 3 ROW radiator.

I figured a quick remedy would be a fan blade spacer, but the lowest in size for one I have found is a 1", and that makes the fan blade pretty DAMN CLOSE to the radiator. I figured a 1/2" or less would space the fan blade enough to clear the crank pulley.
    Maybe some washers?

I had a six rib custom setup with a 2.95 pulley and matching ribbed crank/blower pulley setup originally of course with no clearance issues!

Thank vortechpower.com!,

-Chris
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Junior SCH Member
    Try a standard water pump pully they have like a cap welded on the front.Dont know if the Cobra pully does or not.

Senior SCH Member
    Correct, the cobra water pump pulley does not. I believe as you said the stock wp pulley does. I will experiment with that.

I am curious to hear of anyone has an s-trim with an 8 RIB belt that uses the stock fan system on the 87-93 models.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAKE THE 8 RIB PULLEY SETUP WORK WITH THE STOCK FAN SETUP? Washers, spacer? What?

Thanks!

Chris :)
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

I didn't have a whole lot of clearence problems with mine, fan clipped the shroud just a little bit. I just ran it till the shroud "trimmed" the fan:D

J

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by down
    I didn't have a whole lot of clearence problems with mine, fan clipped the shroud just a little bit. I just ran it till the shroud "trimmed" the fan:D

J
    Heheh! I pulled the dremel out to trim some of the shroud today. Improved the fan clearance within the shroud, but the end of the stock fan (not the blades actually) is hitting the crank pulley. :(
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

Senior SCH Member

To THE ToP!

TTT :D
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

What I used with my 10 rib setup was sink faucet (spelling?) valve seats. (I think thats what they are called) they are all the same thickness (unlike washers) and they come in different thicknesses.

You can see them in this pic.
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Junior SCH Member
    On my 89 I did not have any problems at all with the 8 rib set up.Everything bolted on just fine.

Junior SCH Member
    Here are my experiences with the fan shroud in order:

Stock rad and Strim 8 rib (stock WP pulley), had no problems at all, except it was a little tight in that area.

Stock rad and Strim 10 rib, had problems with spacing out the fan so it won't hit the 10 rib crank pulley. I bought these 'spacers' (ford part, I think was stock on SC Tbirds) to bring it out just enough. After that, I noticed this 'whirrling' noise dependent with RPM's. I thought it was the stock air pump going bad, so I deleted it and still the same noise. Come to find out, the fan blades were pretty darn close to the blower pulley, and made this irry noise. I bought a few more spacers (three total) and it went away. I did try spacing it out with washers like in the pic above, but felt that wasn't a permanent solution.

Griffen 2core rad and Strim 10 rib, this really brought the fan close to the rad. But all seems to be well. Went to the first NMRA event in BG, lined up in the burn box, let her rip, then heard something and car started to get hot and smoke. The stock water pump pulley shaft let go, and tore up everything. Luckily, the griffen rad (2 weeks old) held up, but looks a little ugly. I guess the stock water pump pulley couldn't take the three spacers. I ordered a stewart pump (they guaranteed me it had the strength to take it), and no problems so far (you can replace the water pump with the blower brackets still there, its verrrrrrry tight).

Since then, I've went back to just two spacers (makes a little bit more whirling noise) with the YS trim and same 10 rib set up. Now I know the 10 rib I have with the YS won't spin it fast enough to be 'lots better' than the S trim, but more than likely, cogs will come into play when the 351 goes in, with an electric fan.

Somewhere I have video of that 'whirling' noise, its louder than the dang S trim.
    89 LX
    Stock ported heads with 1.84" & 1.54" valves
    Untouched GT-40 intake, Crane 2031, S-trim
    11.13 @ 127 3370lb
    500.3 RWHP

86 SVO
    222 rwhp

My Basic Blower Tech Site
    My Dynojet Resource Site

I have no problem with clearance.. but I'm running a stock radiator...I tried a Griffin and it wouldn;t fit due to the fan.. so this year I'm dumping the stock fan and moving over to dual electric fans with the Griffin Rad (that's been collecting dust for a year).. I'm sick of dealing with the stock fan shroud...
    1993 LX 347, S-trim (renegade pulley) FoxLake Prepped TFS heads, Built C4 with 4500 stall, 525 rwhp, est. 10.5 @ 135 mph.

1993LX Silver with black interior, Cobra R's.. mostly stock.. MAC CatBack

Senior SCH Member
    Okay Guys!

Here is an update!!!

I tried a 1" fan spacer (from Hayden Products Inc) and it gave me enough clearance from the crank pulley and fan blade and shroud.

Please note this is with a GDI 3 ROW Radiator

I tried a 2" spacer and it ended up bastardizing the radiator quite well. The funny thing was that when spinning the fan by hand it appeared as if there was sufficient room/spacing/clearance between the fan blade and radiator with the 2" spacer.

The fan basterdized the radiator once we ran the motor up in RPM. (3500 RPM+Loud Screeching sound / one owned radiator and fan blade= more money to dish out :) ).

So the 1" spacer did the trick!

Thanks for the many responses guys!

-Chris
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

Junior SCH Member
    I have every thing installed but the radiator,fan shroud,fan iam having belt issues I bought the kit used & it was upgaded to the 8 rib set up Renegade iIbelieve Iam wondering if Ill have fan clearance issues as well as belt problems since I dont have a smog pump or elimnator kit?
    88 Gt Vortech S trim 8 rib,Trickflow Track Heat Heads,Scorpion 1.6 rockers,cobra intake,Mac 70mm t.b.,pro m 80mm mass air ,30 lb injectors,Crane Hi 8 ign.,World class T-5,King cobra clutch,Fms 3.55 gears.Fms aluminum d.s.,Pro 5.0 shifter BBk subframes,Tfs phenolic 1 inch spacer,Frp 3 core radiator ,Cervini Stalker kit ,Cervini 4 cowl hood,chrome 4 lug Cobra r's,Walbro 255 lph pump ,T rex fuel pump,Ati fmu. 449.3 rhp @ 5500 rpms on a mustang dyno still running pig rich!!!