Thread: Fan hitting the crank pulley - looking for advice

Junior SCH Member

Fan hitting the crank pulley - looking for advice

Well, I'm getting closer, but ran into another issue tonight when I put the fan, radiator, and shroud in....seems that my fan is barely rubbing against the crank pulley. I've got the stock S-Trim crank pulley, but the fan is slightly hitting it.

Do you guys know if I'll need to use a spacer on the fan or something? I could probably use some washers under it if I need to....but was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue, and if so, how did you correct it?

My future plans are to eventually go to a dual electric fan setup, but the funds just aren't available right now after this build-up.....was hoping I could wait a few months until it starts getting warmer outside.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated! :)

Fan hitting crank pulley

You didn't say what year/make of car or what if any cooling mods have been made which would help. I have a S-trim on a 94 Mustang GT with the 2.95/7.00 set up from AFM that had no clearance issues even with new motor mounts. After I installed my Fluidyne radiator it still cleared. I only had an issue after putting in a new OEM fan and shroud did it rub. All I had to do was remove the metal motor shield off the back and it that was it.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne
    Rio Red 94 GT :teeth:
    AFM Vortech S-Trim Stg I kit
    some bolt ons

See website for complete mod list: http://groups.msn.com/Waynes94GT/waynes94gt.msnw :drool:

92stanglx
    More info on your setup would help. What year car? Are you using the stock water pump and crank pulley?

I had the stock fan and shroud on my 92 for a while and it cleared everything fine.

I would save up your money and go w/ an electric fan setup. I went with the Ramchargers dual fans and they work great

http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/n...497&cat2=29164

The other issue (on a foxbody) w/ using the stock fan shroud is that it is a PITA to see the timing mark on the balancer to set your timing.

Junior SCH Member
    Car is a 90' with a 5.0 in it. My cooling system is totally stock right now....I'm planning to upgrade to a Fluidyne or Griffin radiator and a dual electric fan setup in a couple months when it starts to get warmer out, but I need to recover from all the cash that I've just spent before-hand....just did heads, intake, T-body, MAF, injectors, fuel system, roller rockers, etc, etc...along with the S-trim all at the same time....so you guys know how broke my car budget is right now.

Anyways- I've got this resolved now....I ended up pulling it all back out. The fan itself had a date code from 1992 on it....my car is a 90', so it's obviously been replaced at some point. The fan clutch is an after-market unit, so my guess is that it's probably a tad shorter or something. Anyways, I just used my Dremel to slightly swipe down the edge of each blade, and now it clears.

Senior SCH Member
    I thought my Novi 2k came with a spacer for the stock fan. I can't remember for sure since I have an electric fan, but that sounds familiar.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381