Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How much is timing worth on blown cars? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much is timing worth on blown cars?

Speedytang is right, there will definatley be a loss in low end power locking the timing at 20*, But in some cases its the only cure for mid range pinging if you dont have money for a DFI or custom chip.

Also the EEC will add 16* more timing to what you have you initial timing set to at WOT. The EEC can add much more that that at light and medium load in the mid range.
    This is what gives you the extra low end power.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    Did someone say timing. :D I ran 32 degrees total with 110 race gas , TFS heads, 12psi S-trim. I ran with that for about 1 year :blob:

But I don't suggest anyone doing this :p
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

I've finally got mine to take 8* initial, was 6* for a while. I tired locking it out and it ran like crap.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

I had a Tweecer and it was headache. I'm gonna get an Intercepter II and try my luck with it. Speedy, I've got one i'm bidding on right now. Still up for a lil tuning and thrashing this spring? There is alot of power in timing but you have to be careful not to get carried away. If you have a loud car you can't always hear slight pre-ignition so I run some 112 octane in the tank and let it rip when racing.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    Here is the timimg the EEC uses at WOT. I hope this helps you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    86 Capri 331ci 185AFR's Holley Systemax intake S-trim TKO 9" rear 245/50/16 Nitto

513rwhp/493rwtq on pump gas. More to come in 05!

Headed for the 10's fully loaded on a radial.

SCH Member
    BTW, Why not just buy a boost retard? You can find used ones for $150 if you look. That would solve your lazy bottom end with a locked out timing method.
    86 Capri 331ci 185AFR's Holley Systemax intake S-trim TKO 9" rear 245/50/16 Nitto

513rwhp/493rwtq on pump gas. More to come in 05!

Headed for the 10's fully loaded on a radial.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86merc
    BTW, Why not just buy a boost retard? You can find used ones for $150 if you look. That would solve your lazy bottom end with a locked out timing method.
    The lazy bottom end is taken care of, by the 3.73's :teeth:
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Boost retards that are on the market (Crane,MSD) are not accurate at all. If you can find a Ricer timing unit that is Digital Display that would be better but then your at the price of a PMS/Interceptor.
    Brent how about May 29th at Norwalk. I will schedule that day for Play.

Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Brent how about May 29th at Norwalk. I will schedule that day for Play.
    Sounds like a winner. thanks :D
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Senior SCH Member
    I heard a few different answers from a few different people. I told a few people that I was going to up the timing to 20*, and leave the spout out. Imdiately they all shot down the idea. All saying without the spout, the cars runs like crap, and it controls a few things that use vacuum. So the spout does...?
    NOVI 1000 power.

Senior SCH Member
    From my understanding the spout does nothing but keep the computer from controling timing. And lets just put it this way, if it does happen to control more its nothing that is going to hurt your car. The worst that can happen is you pull it out, set the timing to wherever you want it, and it runs like crap. If you dont like it, for whatever reason, lower your timing back down and put the spout back in. Its at least worth a try in my opinion.

Pulling the spout helped me find a timing issue I was having. My car runs just fine at part throttle and idle. It does have a very slight hesitation at part throttle when its cold but it may have the issue even with the spout in. Now I will say some of my running OK probably has to do with the fact that my custom SCT chip still controls the A/F (which we have locked at ~11.4) so the car doesnt run pig rich, but I did run the car for a while with the chip out and the spout out and it still ran good.

Give it a shot, you wont hurt anything, and at least then you will know if your car runs better with it out or until you can get a tuning device.
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

Senior SCH Member
    Yeah, I'm definantely going to bump the timing up tonite to at least 18* and lock it there. I'm not worried about a custom chip right now, maybe just a MSD BTM, but I'm going to be putting together a 306 within the next 8 months.
    NOVI 1000 power.

Well since you're gonna do a motor swap soon, if you go to the track put how ever much 110-116 octane in(you can mix with pump gas but i try to run it down first) And try locking the timing @ 24-28 and HOLD ON! Again since you're gonna build a new motor. :teeth: Shouldn't hurt anything though i'd take it slow at first,

blown5oh
    "The Hawk - Timing can be worth big power both down low and up top.....a couple degrees cam easily make a 40rwhp difference."

That's awesome news if that's true.....we had to knock off 3 degrees of total timing because of a oil leak (blown bearing in 1k head unit).....hello 500rwhp! :teeth:

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Krwy,

If you are going with a tweecer then you won't need the retard box, you can setup the WOT ignition curve to retard inside the eec. Or you could use the BTM to control boost-referenced retard and just use the tweecer for fueling changes. But a good strong ignition amp is always a good idea on a boosted engine - I like my Crane HI6 but the MSD is very popular as well.

Notch, the spout plug OUT disconnects eec control from timing, it defaults to 10 degrees or wherever you set it to on the balancer. With the spout plug IN the eec takes over timing control. Any time the throttle goes wide open, 2.71v + [base tps V], the A9L-type eec goes into WOT mode and follows a preset timing curve which is as follows:
    WOT_ADVANCE_VS_RPM # WOT spark Advance vs RPM
    ( 16383.8, 26 ) ( 5000, 26 ) ( 3500, 22 )
    ( 2600, 22.5 ) ( 2150, 21.5 ) ( 1800, 18.5 )
    ( 1000, 8 ) ( 0, 8 ) ( 0, 8 )

It interpolates the inbetween values, so the WOT timing ramps up from 22 at 3500 to 26 at 5000 in the oem application.

The SN95 cars are more complex, they don't have the same simple WOT mode, they mix and match timing numbers from 3 different load tables, and it gets sticky with BIG MAF and injectors because those throw a monkey wrench into the load calculation. One of the best things the tweecer etc do is readjust the load tables to more accurate numbers. Most of the eec tuning people diable at least one of these tables or else they set all 3 to be equal values.
    Chris