Thread: How tight do you have your blower belt?

Senior SCH Member

How tight do you have your blower belt?

I think my belt is still slipping a touch at higher RPM's and I am trying to remedy that but I dont want to over tighten my belt and hurt my crank bearings. I'm using a 59" belt with an 8" crank pulley and the stock Novi 1000 pulley. I've go the blower belt tensioner almost all the way maxed out (as far as how far I can slide the bolt up that slotted groove). I could probably move it down another 1/4-1/2" and then it would be all the way at the end of the groove, if that makes sense.

Is this about where you guys have yours? And I'm guessing they will stretch after a while but keep in mind mine has probably only been on the car for 3 weeks. Am I OK with the tensioner where it is? And who has had to use anti belt slip dressing before? Did it help improve your ET or MPH at the track?

Thanks for any info, Ryan
    1991 Notchback
    Stock 80K mi. short block, Twisted Wedge Heads w/ upgraded valve springs, Crane 2030 cam, Edel. Performer Intake, Accufab 65mm TB, full exhaust w/ LT's, "built" AOD w/ 2600-2800 stall, Novi 1000, 8" crank pulley, Powerpipe, 42# inj, 255 lph, full MSD ignition etc etc.
    Best ET: 11.0006 (so close!) @ 124.86 mph (1.59 60ft)

2000 Lightning
    FTVB, 2" rear drop, and a JLP CAI!
    Best ET: 13.39 @ 102.8 mph (2.04 60ft)

If you think it slipping put more tension on it as an experiment. Your mains will survive just fine. As a rule 100 foot#'s is not excessive. I ran the same setup and had no problems with slippage and at least 50- passes on the 59" belt i used.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

I'd worry more about the blower's bearing than your main bearing. I think mine's about 100# or so.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com