Thread: Novi 2000 boost Non-Tuned and "Race"

Senior SCH Member

Question Novi 2000 boost Non-Tuned and "Race"

Here is my ?

I know that the max impeller speed for a Novi is 55,000 rpm. I also know that Iit is caplable of 27 psi. It is pullied for 8psi of boost from the factory. If someone is to change to a smaller head unit pulley this will also increase the psi. To obtain higher boost levels, Must the head unit be sent back to Paxton to be "tuned" or what. Once it is " tuned" what is the max impeller speed? Once it is "tuned" I know that the internal parts are different, but what parts? And does anyone know how much it cost to "tune" one for higher psi. I''m in the process of converting to the 2000. I really want to run 12-15 psi of boost, if I pulley the factory "non-tuned" head unit will it last? or should I go a head and have it "tuned"?

Thanks, Rusty

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allthrottle
    Here is my ?

I know that the max impeller speed for a Novi is 55,000 rpm. I also know that Iit is caplable of 27 psi. It is pullied for 8psi of boost from the factory. If someone is to change to a smaller head unit pulley this will also increase the psi. To obtain higher boost levels, Must the head unit be sent back to Paxton to be "tuned" or what. Once it is " tuned" what is the max impeller speed? Once it is "tuned" I know that the internal parts are different, but what parts? And does anyone know how much it cost to "tune" one for higher psi. I''m in the process of converting to the 2000. I really want to run 12-15 psi of boost, if I pulley the factory "non-tuned" head unit will it last? or should I go a head and have it "tuned"?

Thanks, Rusty
    I've never heard of having to change anything other than the pulley to get more boost out of a blower. Can't imagine what there is to tune in there, its just a few gears and an impeller... and the impellers are all the same as far as I know (except the Renegade impeller is cryo'd).

HOWEVER! The engine management WILL need to be retuned to address the change in fuel and timing needs... more boost usually needs more fuel and less spark advance (generalizing here)... maybe that's what whomever talked to you about "tuning" meant.

That being said, swap on a smaller blower pulley (or a larger crank pulley) and have at it :)

What they mean by Renegade Blower Kit "untuned" is that you get no FMU or other odds and ends. Example: 8 psi setup/stock motor/12:1 fmu This is there idea of a tuned setup. It has nothing to do with blower internals. You'll knock the mains outta the motor before you'll max out a Novi 2000. :shocked: ;) However to run 14+psi(rounded figure) you'll need a race style bypass, and some kick butt T-bolt clamps for the discharge tube. When prepping for big power these are two items you'll better off getting right off the bat.
    Last edited by regattacoupe; 01-19-2005 at 08:54 AM.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    Thank God I thought that was right. Which bypass sould I get? I have the Bosh bpv now, any reccomendations? I forgot about the t-bolt clamps. Thanks for all of the clarification.

Thanks, Rusty