Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Dyno Numbers ~~~ HELP PLS !

SCH Member

Bad Dyno Numbers ~~~ HELP PLS !

WHats up guys.

Took my car to the dyno last night, got a diablo chip along with the run.. Car dynoed at 368 rwhp and 400 lb of torque @ 4700 rpm with major belt slippage.. The funny thing is before I took it to this guy when I had no chip in my car my car hit 420 rwhp @ 5k rpm, with belt slippage.. I wish I could post the chart to show you guys what it looks like but I'll do my best to explain it.. Basically we set the timing to 10 degres at Idle.. Fuel pressure was 11.1 .. He adjusted everything and I cant remember what the timing was at the end, but if you guys could post your numbers along with how they tuned it that would be great.. Also give me ur imput on what you guys think I should have got and what I could do to get to my goal which is 480-500 RWHP ... Thanks guys !

My combo consist :

331, sportsman block 8.8.1 compression all forged internals
    185 AFR heads
    crower cam 155122- (could be the problem)
    1.7 cobra r.r
    trick flow intake
    vortech v2-sq stock pulley created 8lbs of boost
    Power Pipe
    80mm PRO-M meter
    75mm accufab throttle body
    42lb injectors
    255lb Walpro Fuel pump
    Vortech inline pump 190lb ( I believe )
    A/C Eliminator
    Smog Pump Eliminator
    Denso spark plugs
    BBK Long Tube headers
    Dr.Gas X-pipe - No Cats
    Sportsman Spintech Exhaust
    Stock T-5 - could also be robbing me from making more power

Senior SCH Member
    I think your combo should be making 500rwhp minimum and realistically 550 rwhp. My Real Street car with a 306 makes around 550 rwhp. Kurgan Motorsports tuned my PMS for me.

Why haven't you done anything about the belt slipping?

That T5 is not robbing your power.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

SCH Member
    Havent done anything for the belt slippage yet.. Any ideas ? After last night, I think im stepping up to a 10-rib system.. Probably gonna put a 2.95 pulley set up on my S-Trim.. Since I only made 8lbs of boost with the 3.33, Im thinking the 2.95 should put me around 12lbs of boost or so ?? Not sure though..

Do you have your dyno sheet by any chance ? What was ur fuel/air ratio at ? Do you think the belt is the only thing stopping me from my goal ? I mean, my buddies 302 with just a novi made around 340 at the wheels.. I have a 331 with a s trim and im only making 361 rwhp.. Thats TERRIBLE !! All that money and have yet to see the power it should make..

Any ideas are very much appreciated !!

Thank you !!!!

Senior SCH Member
    Tighten the belt a lot more. I used to think my belt was tight, but I later found out that the belt tightness makes a world of difference. I tried out an S-trim on my motor and it made 18 lbs of boost with a 6.87/3.33 pulleys at 7700 rpm.
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    Well yea sorry to say those #'s are bad.

But man you have a nice soild setup, like RSNoiv said min 500hp. Once you do figure out your problem more than likey you will run into another. You need bigger injectors, and fuel rail and lines.

My S-trim 302 TFS heads, Holley SysteMax2 intake, B-31 cam, AOD 12psi dynoed at 474hp with 110 race gas, PMS tuned, and come to find out later my timing was way high 32 degrees total.

Brandon
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

SCH Member
    I dont think I need bigger injectors to get 450-500 rwhp.. Im just a little curious to why the guy stopped the pull at 4800 rpm.. I mean regardless if the belt was slipping my motor alone could have put out more.. I honestly think it was the tuner.. Whats ur guys fuel pressure set at ? I think If I richen it up a little and take care of the belt slippage issue I should be good to go.. What do you guys think ?

Senior SCH Member
    Your injectors will be close to being maxed out at 500 rwhp, unless you are using an FMU. This should be easy to tell on the dyno though.

I typically run a static fuel pressure of 50psi on a boost sensitive regulator. We shoot for around 11.5 air to fuel ratio.

What area are you in?
    Chris
    NMCA SR6381

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 331stroker
    WHats up guys.

Took my car to the dyno last night, got a diablo chip along with the run.. Car dynoed at 368 rwhp and 400 lb of torque @ 4700 rpm with major belt slippage.. The funny thing is before I took it to this guy when I had no chip in my car my car hit 420 rwhp @ 5k rpm, with belt slippage.. I wish I could post the chart to show you guys what it looks like but I'll do my best to explain it.. Basically we set the timing to 10 degres at Idle.. Fuel pressure was 11.1 .. He adjusted everything and I cant remember what the timing was at the end, but if you guys could post your numbers along with how they tuned it that would be great.. Also give me ur imput on what you guys think I should have got and what I could do to get to my goal which is 480-500 RWHP ... Thanks guys !

My combo consist :

331, sportsman block 8.8.1 compression all forged internals
    185 AFR heads
    crower cam 155122- (could be the problem)
    1.7 cobra r.r
    trick flow intake
    vortech v2-sq stock pulley created 8lbs of boost
    Power Pipe
    80mm PRO-M meter
    75mm accufab throttle body
    42lb injectors
    255lb Walpro Fuel pump
    Vortech inline pump 190lb ( I believe )
    A/C Eliminator
    Smog Pump Eliminator
    Denso spark plugs
    BBK Long Tube headers
    Dr.Gas X-pipe - No Cats
    Sportsman Spintech Exhaust
    Stock T-5 - could also be robbing me from making more power
    chris is right, this combo is good for 525-550rwhp with good gas... those injectors, if put at 50lbs base FP, will support 550rwhp..

SCH Member
    Right now the guy set my fuel pressure at the turn of the key to be around 35lbs .. When we got into WOT I believe the fuel pressure was at 42lbs or so.. I thought that was low but the guy said he wanted to be conservative.. Whats ur guys timing at from the turn of the key to when u get to WOT ?

SCH Member
    They mean run your base fuel pressure at 50psi at idle. With the car running pull the vacuum line off the fuel regulator and plug the hose. Turn the regulator untill the gauge says 50psi. Then re-install the vacuum hose on the fuel regulator and your set. Watch your fuel pressure to make sure it still raises under boost.

good luck.
    86 Capri 331ci 185AFR's Holley Systemax intake S-trim TKO 9" rear 245/50/16 Nitto

513rwhp/493rwtq on pump gas. More to come in 05!

Headed for the 10's fully loaded on a radial.

SCH Member
    Hey 86merc, how much boost are you running to reach those numbers ?
    How come so much FP at idle ? How much boost do you go under when ur at WOT ?

SCH Member
    I saw about 13-14#. I have a little belt slippage though. Timming was at 18 degrees for pump gas.

The higher fuel pressure will force the injector to flow more fuel. When it can flow more fuel it will be able to support more HP. *Side note: This is not always true. If the fuel system is not up to the task the fuel pressure will not climb with the boost referance. That would be a bad thing so make sure to watch it too.*

The added fuel pressure might require a little tweaking on the tune to get the a/f ratio right again.
    86 Capri 331ci 185AFR's Holley Systemax intake S-trim TKO 9" rear 245/50/16 Nitto

SCH Member
    U have an S trim right ? If so are you using the stokck pulley setup ?

SCH Member
    It is a s-trim with a 3.33" blower pulley with a 8" crank pulley.

SCH Member
    Damn thats what the v2-sq came with and u made that much boost ??? Chit ! Whats ur hole combo ?