Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Whine

Thread: Whine

Junior SCH Member

Whine

I have a SN2000 and It just started to whine @2500-3000 RPM, I took it apart and found nothing that jumps out at me. The whine is loud enough even my wife heard it. It seemed to come and go, but I pulled the belt fearing the worst.
    Mike

Senior SCH Member
    Here's my thoughts; I'm no experty but, meh: Check for leakage at the intake pipe. Is it load dependant or, just rpm? Whining indicates either the ball drive pressure is slacking off some, or the races are pitting, or some such. Check the tension to spin it (should be about 45 inch/pounds full) and don't worry so much. I ran mine with a crater in one race at the track once and for a several hundred street miles and, amazingly, didn't damage anything.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    It might be the impeller you are hearing, if it is open in the engine bay facing the firewall.
    I had the same thing, only on higher rpm's.
    I think if it whynes at all rpm's something is pitted.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member

Whine

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    Here's my thoughts; I'm no experty but, meh: Check for leakage at the intake pipe. Is it load dependant or, just rpm? Whining indicates either the ball drive pressure is slacking off some, or the races are pitting, or some such. Check the tension to spin it (should be about 45 inch/pounds full) and don't worry so much. I ran mine with a crater in one race at the track once and for a several hundred street miles and, amazingly, didn't damage anything.
    No it's not load dependant, just when you start to get over 2500 RPM, but not everytime, The first day it did it, I changed the fluid, and thought that did it because it didn't whine for 2 days, then it cam back, and seems to be getting worst It seemed pretty easy to spin by hand, easier than when new, the balls aren't pitting and the output shaft looks good, you can see where the balls ride in the races but can't feel any groove, or score. behind the impeller looks good, and smooth.

Mike

Junior SCH Member

Whine

Quote Originally Posted by pavement pounde
    It might be the impeller you are hearing, if it is open in the engine bay facing the firewall.
    I had the same thing, only on higher rpm's.
    I think if it whynes at all rpm's something is pitted.
    It's connected to the filter box. thought I might go ahead and replace the bearings and balls (e-Bay) I did have some slight leakage at the rear seal.

Hows the weather over there?

Mike

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjn082001

Hows the weather over there?

Mike
    Very bad:weird:
    Lots of rain and lots of frost.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw