Thread: I've got aproblem, help me out...

Junior SCH Member

I've got aproblem, help me out...

Yesterday my MSD w/ BTM died so I took it out for the time being until I can just get a good dyno tune to retard my timing etc. It has a JMS chip in it that may retard timing as-is, not sure. So today I pull the spout out and check the timing and it's on 19*. It has ran great set at 19* and the BTM at "1". I just got the car so I don't know much about the background. Anyway, I set the timing at 10* and take it for a test drive. Now it is busting out in the upper rpms and I'm not sure why. The plugs were gapped at .035ish. Do you think that's too much without the aid of the MSD and maybe it's blowing the spark out? I have an A/F ratio gauge, which may or not be accurate and when I was on the gas it went to full rich, so at least it's not lean. I just can't figure out what the problem might be. Any help is appreciated.

Junior SCH Member
    Also, I see about 11# of boost.

I'd say it's lack of spark but it's hard to not knowing what the JMS chip does to the timing.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    That chip might be removing to much timing. I would pull the chip leave the spout out and set timing to 14 degrees and see if it does it. If it does it your porbably blowing out spark.

Junior SCH Member
    You don't think 14* would be too much w/out any timing removed? Thanks for the help!

14 total is really low but I figure you should be able to tell something. I run 23 total at 10psi at 92 octane . Stock is 26 total. Are you sure with the spout out you have 19 in timing because that is really high and is past the timing table curve which could cause problems also. At 19 and the spout adding 16 that is 35 then you take 1 out for every 1psi and at 10psi that would put you at 25 degrees total. I am having you set it at 14 degrees total for safety.

Junior SCH Member
    I was at 19* with the spout OUT, w/ the chip in and BTM at "1". Then I took it down to 10*, spout still out/chip still in, and it was missing in high rpms. I thought it may be pulling too much timing, so I pulled the chip out and left the timing at 10*, and of course I'm putting the spout back in after setting to 10. This is the only way I know to set timing. NOW, after taking the chip out I do not have the problem of it cutting out at higher rpms but it is detonating at high rpms now at 10*. So now I don't see why it would be detonating at this low degree of timing. Any idea? I can't wait to just get my power pipe in so I can get to a dyno w/ a good tune. Thanks for the help!

With the spout back in your at 26 degrees and climbing to maybe 32-36 degrees at WOT. You need to keep the spout out without a timing retard unit.