Thread: Which supercharger?

Junior SCH Member

Which supercharger?

I'm currently building a '85 notchback. The engine is basically being built around the supercharger and horsepower that I'm looking for. I know so far that it will have a Level 20 408 block from D.S.S. and hopefully around 500 rwhp. Any suggestions on the supercharger? I've been told to go with one of the Pro-Chargers but which one? Any help will be a great help.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Novi 2000 builds a lot of power and hear less trouble with leaking units than a LeakCharger i mean Procharger. If you get a Procharger get one with remote oiling because I still hear bad things about the self contained unit.

Quote Originally Posted by redrider122
    I'm currently building a '85 notchback. The engine is basically being built around the supercharger and horsepower that I'm looking for. I know so far that it will have a Level 20 408 block from D.S.S. and hopefully around 500 rwhp. Any suggestions on the supercharger? I've been told to go with one of the Pro-Chargers but which one? Any help will be a great help.
    Another vote for a Novi 2000 or YSI Vortech. As for as making 500 rwhp with a 408 you can build a mean N/A motor and come extremely close to that. Whats the rest of the engine going to consist of?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Its actually a D.S.S. Bullet short block. Right now, I'm still up in the air about valve train / heads. Carb unknown also.

Quote Originally Posted by redrider122
    Its actually a D.S.S. Bullet short block. Right now, I'm still up in the air about valve train / heads. Carb unknown also.
    Ah carb'd eh? have you considered a roots blower? like the holley powercharger? Blow-through? shop around but i'd try to find something rated for 1400+cfm.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Ah carb'd eh? have you considered a roots blower? like the holley powercharger? Blow-through? shop around but i'd try to find something rated for 1400+cfm.

Yeah, I've thought about it, but the guys around here already run roots blowers. I'm just trying to be different. Besides, they say it can't be done.

Those guys must have started their own Amish cult ;)