Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BDS 8-71 on a 440

killer! I'm currently building a "higher" compression engine to play around with.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    killer! I'm currently building a "higher" compression engine to play around with.
    i had to force feed my motor to raise the cr[14/1]good luck on the build.
    "69"Satellite,440,8-71,996hp at 6K/983TQ at 4K,4000lbs.

Senior SCH Member
    i went 10.66 but still 126mph.i have a new tach[autometer]i am shifting at 6400 1/2,2/3 the trap rpm is 6300.
    i have been looking into water/meth inj but the rep said i would only gain 15hp maybe with a 40 degF air temp drop intake and 2/3 deg advance timing.i don't think i would do it just for the .100 et drop.what do you think?anyone!
    THANKS.

Senior SCH Member

new et

yep i'm back!:) i went to norwalk and 1.49 60',103.5 1/8,10.52 @ 128.:)

Junior SCH Member

Another Blown 440

[QUOTE=blownzoom440]yep i'm back!:) i went to norwalk and 1.49 60',103.5 1/8,10.52 @ 128.:)[/QUOTE

Caught your post on your blown 440. I to have a blown 440 drag machine. Check it out
    http://members.cox.net/cheapthril/

Senior SCH Member

hi dennis

[QUOTE=Dennis Johnson]
    Quote Originally Posted by blownzoom440
    yep i'm back!:) i went to norwalk and 1.49 60',103.5 1/8,10.52 @ 128.:)[/QUOTE

Caught your post on your blown 440. I to have a blown 440 drag machine. Check it out
    http://members.cox.net/cheapthril/

looks sweet what are some specs?those are preditor carbs,right?
    you are probibly running alky!someday i would like to get an altered or short rail dragster.i did a shock adjustment and went 1.46/60',10.46,129.i am at about 850hp crank.

Junior SCH Member
    if anyone has a question on this product or my setup just ask.
    I got a bird catcher and a bug catcher full of questions plus my injector stacks are packed solid with questions.
    The story so far, a BDS 871 sitting atop a 440 ,Indy stage 4 aluminum heads with crane gold roler lifters...thinking about it the list of parts and processes on this car would take a hour to type in. Rgis the short form. 2 Preditor carbs converted to alcohol by predator, BDS 871 driven at 1:1 ,500 lb valve springs. Mancini Make your own pushrods.Roller cam. every thing else if it wasnt top of the line it was the best you could get for the money and had reached the point of diminishing returns.
    Problem 1, with a total time on the engine of 1 minuet pushrod came off rocker and BROKE rocker shaft, its neighbor rock arm self destructed. The push rod did not bend, repeat did not bend! 3 crane roller rockers and a rtocker shaft died. tore down engine checked rods, pistons and combustion chambers for damage , none. New crane roler rockers for all not just the broken, new pushrods for all, polished the heads inside and out while they were off. Excuse my french but what the F*ck gives with the push rod rocker geomitry? Perhaps it isnt a geomitry problem at asll but those wimpy springs they use to keep the rockers in the propper place. This isnt an umcommen on performance 440 but I have yet to see a commen solution. Some recomend solid spacers some recomend black magic. This wansnt a cheap problem by any means but had it happened under full power and max rev it could have fately damaged every internal engine component.

OK any one out there have any experence with the preditor carbs on alcohol.The car has a mechanical gear driven fuel pump, Aeromotive 4 outlet bypass regulator(rated fort alcohol)? I am tired of typing and am quiting for now. if I can get this thing to work i'll post pictures.I see there are a ton of typos but the wife says dinner is ready and i already had to retype this once because there seems to be a time out counter on the poste engine.

Senior SCH Member

carb help

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Johnson
    I got a bird catcher and a bug catcher full of questions plus my injector stacks are packed solid with questions.
    The story so far, a BDS 871 sitting atop a 440 ,Indy stage 4 aluminum heads with crane gold roler lifters...thinking about it the list of parts and processes on this car would take a hour to type in. Rgis the short form. 2 Preditor carbs converted to alcohol by predator, BDS 871 driven at 1:1 ,500 lb valve springs. Mancini Make your own pushrods.Roller cam. every thing else if it wasnt top of the line it was the best you could get for the money and had reached the point of diminishing returns.
    Problem 1, with a total time on the engine of 1 minuet pushrod came off rocker and BROKE rocker shaft, its neighbor rock arm self destructed. The push rod did not bend, repeat did not bend! 3 crane roller rockers and a rtocker shaft died. tore down engine checked rods, pistons and combustion chambers for damage , none. New crane roler rockers for all not just the broken, new pushrods for all, polished the heads inside and out while they were off. Excuse my french but what the F*ck gives with the push rod rocker geomitry? Perhaps it isnt a geomitry problem at asll but those wimpy springs they use to keep the rockers in the propper place. This isnt an umcommen on performance 440 but I have yet to see a commen solution. Some recomend solid spacers some recomend black magic. This wansnt a cheap problem by any means but had it happened under full power and max rev it could have fately damaged every internal engine component.

OK any one out there have any experence with the preditor carbs on alcohol.The car has a mechanical gear driven fuel pump, Aeromotive 4 outlet bypass regulator(rated fort alcohol)? I am tired of typing and am quiting for now. if I can get this thing to work i'll post pictures.I see there are a ton of typos but the wife says dinner is ready and i already had to retype this once because there seems to be a time out counter on the poste engine.
    http://drr.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/80760912
    go here and post on those carbs!!do you want to switch carbs call APD in toledo OH.i run gas sunoco 110,my carbs are stock with no power valves.you sound frustrated!!are those carbs used befor u got them?i use the solid spacer for the rockers from harland sharp.i dont like the spring iether!!
    Last edited by blownzoom440; 11-06-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Junior SCH Member

Predator carbs and spinning parts

http://drr.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/80760912
    go here and post on those carbs!!do you want to switch carbs call APD in toledo OH.i run gas sunoco 110,my carbs are stock with no power valves.you sound frustrated!!are those carbs used befor u got them?i use the solid spacer for the rockers from harland sharp.i dont like the spring iether!!

First off thanks for the links, I always feel better when the has a time slip they can point on say this is my diploma. You are fully acredited. The frustration that came through was due to having to write the post twice when I harp to every one I teach "same your intermidiate work to the windown clipboard"
    The Predatord along with supercharger and one of the blocks came as a running package an a hopped up Dodge Ramcharger.,The Predator factory did the rebuildv and conversion to alcohol.
    We had a plan when we started this project, We would build a low compresion (relitively speaking) gas engine and tune the chassis running the brackets. Dished pistons along with every thing else to run a strong engine was purchased. The rule book isnt very thick but I seem to have the part in large print where it says onlt T/A or T/F may have a wheel base longer than 140 inches. I guess yuou could run gas in top alcohol and see if you can get your reaction into negitive numbers but what the heck.The currentb plan is this run the carbs for chassis testing and a race or two then switch to injectors. BTW did you know most of our parts will switch right over to a aluminum block Hemi? We want to stay in alcohol as the learning curve for fuel is to expensive.I,ll send along some closeups of thething and see if you can spot any thing wrong, or right.If you have an idea speak up as none of us even own a Mopar and while were not novices in the supercharging department we still miss the obvious. I'll have to -post the pics tomarow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis Johnson; 11-08-2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: no ataschments

Senior SCH Member
    i have herd of those rockers having problems.i wonder if the pushrod rubbed the head and released it from the rocker.i didn't torque the shafts right and got an equal result,4 bent p rods 3 gouged rockers.i replaced all,kept others for spares.
    about the carbs!do you have any time running them with data[EGT reading,plug fouling,milky oil?]i think it runs rich but need info.who's injection are you getting?
    i thaught in mod class you could run what you brung cept nitro,any length car.OH YA YOU SAND DRAG DUHHH!you could shorten the chassis!!
    1 to 1 on that blower w/good heads probibly should give you 1200hp.
    my block is not filled nor do i have a girdle,stock main caps/ARP studs. so i am maxed on hp for now at 850hp.

Senior SCH Member
    i looked up the carb on the predator site and it looks very simple ametering slide dose the work of main metering.easy to replace so thay say.
    http://www.predatorcarb.com/
    there is a help site on another link.
    Last edited by blownzoom440; 11-08-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    which heads so i cam check for rocker.
    http://www.indyheads.com/

Junior SCH Member
    Hi zoom. Where in ohio are you from? My family is really big into mopars and your car looks really familiar. I am in Elyria, so I head to 42 and Norwalk too.

Senior SCH Member

Quote Originally Posted by TonaChris
    Hi zoom. Where in ohio are you from? My family is really big into mopars and your car looks really familiar. I am in Elyria, so I head to 42 and Norwalk too.
    i am at rt-57/I-90.i race at 42/norwalk also!
    E-MAIL ME!!

Senior SCH Member
    dennis here is a thread on the crane gold rockers and what can break.
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...gonew=1#UNREAD