Thread: SN-95 kit needs more boost

Junior SCH Member

SN-95 kit needs more boost

I want to up the boost on my novi 2000 that is on my 95 Cobra, it is currently an 8-rib setup with a spring tensioner and running the stock pullies. I would like to change to a different pulley setup or cog style. If that isn't possible I have a novi 2000 kit for sale. I want to be up around 20 psi, tired of being slow.:freaks:
    Thanks!

Lol is selling your blower supposed to be a threat? No one here cares whether you sell your blower today and buy a turbo kit tomorrow. We are all here to help and support each other as owners.

If you want to make more power you will need more supporting parts, bigger fuel pump, injectors, mass air meter, etc. depending on what you already have. It would be easy to say, just throw on a different pulley and make more boost, but the fact is unless you do the supporting mods your motor won't last long. 20psi on a stock longblock will = disaster. A lot of broken pieces. If this is a daily driver or even a commonly driven vehicle, I would not make anymore power than 450-475rwhp personally. You can put a pulley on and make more boost, but you will have to run higher octane and lower the timing. I'm not personally sure what people have gotten away with on a daily driver above 10psi. A lot of the people here have all the supporting mods with aftermarket heads and intake manifolds and are making close to or around 500whp on a stock block at 10psi. Unless you go buy an aftermarket block or go with a 351 based stock block you will not be able to fully take advantage of a Novi 2000 or even a correctly sized Turbo. You will be limited to the stock 302 blocks capabilities.

You need to list any supporting mods you have on your car for us to help you in a direction. What kind of exhaust modifications do you have if any? What size injectors? What size mass air meter? Throttle body? Do you have a larger blower inlet ie: powerpipe? There are lots of things you can do to increase the efficiency of your blower in its current state before making use of untapped power which would net even more gaines.

Junior SCH Member
    I'm sorry for not explaining more to you about my setup, but I have everything that I need to handle more boost and I am tired of the lousy 13 psi that I currently have, I was just interested to see what people have done to help the sn-95 kits out. I just wanted to max out that little novi without changing too much and I guess no one makes an 8" crank pulley for that setup. But thanks anyways. I was just hoping for a pulley setup without getting into custom made stuff, like from asp.

You can keep stepping to a smaller blower pulley, but eventually the problem comes down to belt sizes for the pulley combination you have or lack thereof, and most importantly belt slippage because the smaller pulleys provide even less contact than the larger ones. ASP is aware of the fact that there are so many belt sizes out there, and so they will recommend the correct crank pulley size to go along with the blower pulley you want. I assume since you are open to running a lot of boost you will be running racegas or atleast a mix. If that is the case, then have ASP make you a crank pulley. You can find lots of cog kits on the net used, but in your case you'll need an sn95 specific crank pulley correct? You really need to calculate how far you wanna push the blower by calculating maximum impeller rpm by providing your shift rpm. You need to look at the thread at the top of the forum which can give you an idea on how much power you can make. How much power are you making now? If you already are making 13 psi and have all teh supporting mods, you should be tuned near the stock blocks capabilities?

Junior SCH Member

cog setup

Quote Originally Posted by OnehotGT
    I want to up the boost on my novi 2000 that is on my 95 Cobra, it is currently an 8-rib setup with a spring tensioner and running the stock pullies. I would like to change to a different pulley setup or cog style. If that isn't possible I have a novi 2000 kit for sale. I want to be up around 20 psi, tired of being slow.:freaks:
    Thanks!
    Hey i have a cog setup for a fox body kit. It was on a car producing 20 psi I spoke with the guys at auto specialties and they said that my setup at 6200 rpm on my 306 with edel performers it should make around 17psi this is a little more than I was wanting right now. I am not sure if you can use this stuff but I would like to maybe trade for what you have. If it will work that is. What I have is a 31 tooth cog blower pulley and a 75 tooth crank pulley. Let me know if this sounds good to you.

Well the "lil novi" can produce enough boost to knock the mains clean out of your motor and melt your pistons without a good tune. If you have the hardware(and the brass) to make 20+ psi then you shouldn't bat an eye about getting a custom crank pulley from ASP. With an 8" crank and 3" blower pulley you'll make at least 20 psi I figure with an 80mm meter and 4" pipe.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    The guys at asp said that I shouldn't run a cog setup on this car because it is driven daily, and I like to stay out from under the hood as much as possible! It just seems that no one ever messes with the sn-95 kits out there and I just didn't want to change pulleys to make more boost and then have belt slip. I would like to just put a 3.25 blower pulley on it and just be happy with that, as it will help, but it is just an 8-rib setup with a spring loaded tensioner as you know. The car has an R302 block with billet internals and JE pistons, and is running a FAST sequencial with 83-lb inj. Shift point is 7400. Thanks again.

If I understand you correctly, you are just wanting to know what pulleys to step to without getting too much belt slip. Like ASP said if this is a daily, then cogs are not for you. Your question really isn't sn95 specific. You need to do search and find out how much boost people have gotten away with using 8 and 10 rib setups. The next question is, is anyone with an sn95 kit using a 10 rib setup. You will probably be able to get away with less slip on a smaller blower pulley with a 10 rib. You say you are seeing 13lbs of boost I assume thats at 7400rpm using the stock pullies. What kind of bypass valve are you using?

Junior SCH Member
    You cannot run the 10 rib setup on the sn-95 kit from what asp says, I have a vortech mondo bypass valve. Thanks for your help though, it looks like the only way to go is to change over to a different kit with 10 rib and run a braided an line on the upper radiator hose. I guess. I was just looking for an easier (cheaper) :think: way out!