Thread: how much tension should I put on my blower belt?

92stanglx

how much tension should I put on my blower belt?

Someone said that I should set the tension on my blower belt using a torque wrench set to 120lb/ft. Does this sound right? I want the belt tight but not too tight so that I start having issues with the bearings.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx
    Someone said that I should set the tension on my blower belt using a torque wrench set to 120lb/ft. Does this sound right? I want the belt tight but not too tight so that I start having issues with the bearings.
    Im not sure about how much lb/ft, but i do know that too tight will cause excesive wear on blower bearings, someone will know on here.

What size pullies do you have and how much boost?
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

92stanglx
    I've got a 6" crank and 3.33" blower pulley. It's a six rib setup and I am seeing about 6lbs of boost.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx
    I've got a 6" crank and 3.33" blower pulley. It's a six rib setup and I am seeing about 6lbs of boost.
    what blower is it? im thinking your really not gonna see much more than that with that pulley combo, id say 100lb/ft will suit you fine. BTW its not that blower bearings that take the serious beating from high belt tensions, its the main bearings in the bottom end and the crank that really take a beating from those high belt tensions
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

92stanglx
    I'm running an S-trim. Do you think 120lbs will put too much stress on the main bearings?

I would say 90 should be plenty and not have to worry about stress on the bearings. 6 psi is not a lot or should cause a lot of drag.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    I did some research on this and found most people run 90 to 120. I would run 90 on the street and 120 at the track