Thread: Novi 2000 on carb'd 351W based stroker?

Junior SCH Member

Question Novi 2000 on carb'd 351W based stroker?

Greetings :)

I'm building a low compression 408 CI stroker to go in my '65 Mustang. I looked at the Paxton 351W carb'd kit, but the Paxton tech line said the 1200 blower that comes with it would be too small for my application unless I only wanted about six PSI boost (I'd like 10+, as much as I can run on pump gas without intercooling. CR is 8.5:1).

So, it sounds like I need to get the carb'd 351W kit (minus head unit) and adapt a 2000 head unit to it. I know the mounting plate is different, and I have already bought one of those for the 1000/2000.

Am I getting in over my head here? How big of an undertaking is it to adapt a 2000 head unit to a 1200-based kit? Are there any other "gotcha's" that I need to be on the lookout for? I searched and didn't find anything, so I appologize if this has been asked before. Thanks :)

Shane

Well the Novi 1000 shares the same bracket(same gear case) as the 2000 on late model mustangs. I can't imagine them making a specific one for the 1200 so other then the size of the volute I see no real issues. What are the details on this bad boy? I might do something similar when i build a AC Cobra copy.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member

Smile Blown 408 stroker

Some of the the engine details are as follows:
    Dart Iron Eagle 351W block (9.5 deck height), 4.030" bore
    Trickflow 8.5:1 forged aluminum pistons
    Eagle 4340 4.00" stroke crank
    Eagle 4340 6.200" rods with L-19 rod bolt upgrade
    Cam to be determined (will probably have one custom ground for blower)
    Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads (I may have them CNC ported, not sure yet)
    Edelbrock 351W Victor Jr intake (suggested per the Edelbrock tech line)
    Demon 750 DP carb (may have to be changed for use with the blower)

All of the engine stuff is off-the-shelf, just expensive as hell :angry: Just the parts alone were probably close to $6,000, and that doesn't include the blower itself. I'll be using an MSD 6AL and MSD Boost Timing Master (BTM) to control timing.

The tranny is an Art Carr "top of the line" C-4 with manual valvebody and transbrake. 3,000 rpm stall convertor (9.5"? I can't remember). This was about $2200 by the time it was over.

And of course there's stuff to stiffen the unibody (subframe connectors, torque boxes, etc). I'll probably put a roll cage in as well "just in case".

At this point I've already bought everything but the engine block, cam, and intake (and the supercharger stuff). I'm redoing the interior of the car (changing from blue to black interior) so I'm spending most of my free time on that right now. I hope to have the block purchased and to the machine shop by the end of the month, and the car back on the road by spring. Wish me luck :)

My wife loves the look of the AC Cobra replicas and wants me to build her one, but I've got too much going on as it is :) Something like that should FLY with a stout engine (the power to weight ratio would be obscene). Have you decided where to get the kit from yet? (Factory Five or one of the other outfits?)

Thanks for the help :)

Shane

That'll be one mean setup! If you send your heads anywhere, send them to TEA or Fox Lake. They are awesome with twisted wedge heads. I'd certainly look at sending them off if you have any spare change but it'll still run like a rape ape but it'll be 40-50hp off of what a stage 3 head job would be.
    I'm building a 69 351W with the same rods you are only stock length with the stock crank andd Probe blower pistons, Victor Jr heads, xtreme roller, and TFS R intake for my mustang. I'll be using a T-trim though.

When i take a long break from bracket racing (kids are on the way) I'm gonna build a FFR Cobra. I'm not sure on the engine/tranny combo but i know it'll be black-w-powder coated black 03 cobra rims and lots of polished aluminum. I'm debating either a blown 302 for about 450 rwhp, a 408 carb'd with about the same power or a 460 with about 100 more horses than the 408. I'll cross that bridge when i get there.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    I am doing basically the same thing with a 342, Anderson B41, AFR 205's and a 750 Race Demon.

What i did was to just buy the blower (NOVI 2K), and the brackets from the EFI kit. I am also using the carb box, but am having issues with the throttle cable.

If i had to do it all again, I might pass on the carb box. It was like $800, and the throttle cable issues is a pain in the a$$. Not sure what i will do about it.

Senior SCH Member
    The 1200 uses the same brackets as an S-trim.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381