Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Knowledgable Supercharger PPl only plz

Thread: Knowledgable Supercharger PPl only plz

Junior SCH Member

Knowledgable Supercharger PPl only plz

I have a motor that makes 340hp-370tq to the wheels on a Dyno Jet Naturally Aspirated. That was on 10.25/1 comp. Holleysystemax upper and lower/AFR 185's/custom cam/327 stock block with a main stud girdle. I used to use Nitrous but i'm sick of paying all that $$ to fill the bottles. I have been looking at just about all of the blower options availababe for my combo. I thought I had it all figured out until I talked for about an hour on the phone with Rick Anderson. You see I'm putting in Cometic Head gaskets to lower the compression slightly.(9.5 -9.8) Rick says that I should buy a Vortech S-Trim instead of the Novi 2000 because it will make more power with my engines RPM range. He also stated that I should put the 2.95 and 7 pulley for the right amount of boost and change over to a PRo-M Meter with 42 lbs inj. I wanted larger ones put he told me that having an intank 255 pump with an in-line T-rex should be enough. If I wanted to go bigger I really should change my fuel tank, lines, rails etc.(at least $1000) He said that people do use use 50 and 55 injectors and some last forever, some last a little time, but the majority end up blowing head gaskets and stuff. He told me to instead go with the 42's buy the P.M.S. and use the Mr. Freeze kit. (Similiar to the Snow Kit.) He said I can tune it without the freeze at around 500h.p., and then switch the tune with the Mr. Freeze kit and make upward of 500-600h.p. His theory is that when you inject the methanol and water into the intake tract to cool it off you can add more timing and pull out fuel. Therefore you wont be taxing your fuel system. Also when you run out of methanol and water the P.M.S. reads it and automatically changes back to the less timing more fuel setting. BTW he said one bottle last's about 1 minute under full throttle, and the rest of the time it isn't hardly used. The thing is it's so freakin cheap!!!! The sytem is under $200 and the methanol and water cost about $2.00 for two fill ups. A lot cheaper if you buy it in bulk. O.K. Here is my question: Everyone elso I talked to said spending $899 on a P.M.S is stupid. You can just tune it with the FMU and MSD timing controler. How do you guys tune your cars???? Do you burn chips??? Use Stand-alones?? Use Piggy backs like the P.M.S.? If you do use the P.M.S. do you like it? I would like to do this but he makes $$$ off of what he sells and you guys don't!!!! Anyone have some pro or cons!!!!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jeff Mitchell:)
    P.S.
    Anyone seen or use that new Valley Girdle for the top of the motors that is supposed to strengthen the block?(Stock BLocks)They are $200 but if it really works I'm down!!!! Check out the site: http://www.horsepowersales.net/
    Thanks, and have a great day!!!!

Last edited by wikdfst; 03-16-2005 at 07:32 AM.

Well Either blower will do what you want to do. I like the Novi 2000 alot better than the S-trim because of the growth potential. Because of the fuel system you are limited to around 500rwhp of course. The Mr.Freeze seems pretty slick. I just wonder how the impellar likes a corrosive fluid and not to mention being hit with water @40-50,000 rpms. If it has no ill effects on the blower(which i doubt) then it would be pretty slick. Personally I think the snow kit is a little nicer.
    FMU's are the devil and btm's fail or are never really calibrated real well.
    The PMS is a sound investment if you plan on tuning and racing mustangs for sure. No matter what you can always use it. I'm having my car chip tuned this round so we'll see how it goes.

Most of all that valley girdle is bunk. That is the biggest joke i've seen in a long time.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Whoever told you buying a PMS is stupid needs to get slapped around alittle.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the input people. Anyone else? BTW, Rick told me they have been using the kit for a while and have not had ANY problems with the blowers. He also said becasue his kit gets pulled thru you don't have to worry about pump failure or any pump problems. The other kit (snow) uses a pump and any wiring problems or pump problems and KABOOM!

I agree with pretty much everything Rick told you. The S-trim will probably be most efficient in the RPM range that you'll operate your motor in. There was an article about that kind of thing in 5.0 (yes, he was part of the article), and from a compressor map/impeller speed viewpoint, his theory seems pretty valid. There was some talk about this by the Real Street guys I saw somewhere too. I myself am like Regattacoupe in my skepticism of spraying the cooling solution at the impellar blades, but I have no hard evidence about that, just my own personal preference and thoughts. Lastly, I have seen the PMS in action on friends cars, and they are a very slick tuning device. I'd recommend them if you can spend the loot. Hope this helps.
    1988 Mustang LX Vortech Supercharged
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ
    Yippie-kiyah Muthafuka! - Bruce Willis, Die Hard

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks, anymore input glady welcomed...:)

Valley girdle= snake oil, it appears to be secured to the block by a couple little sheet metal screws.

As for the boost cooler, my preference would be the Snow unit, AFM's just looks like a slapped together POS IMHO. To be honest, I have not run across anyone posting catastophic failure due to the Snow unit crapping out on them......

Another vote for the PMS, check out www.stangtuning.com alot of knowledgeable PMS tuners there.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th