Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Vr4 trouble

Thread: Vr4 trouble

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar

Vr4 trouble

Today when I drove I hear the blower starting to begin whining so I inmidiatly turn of the engine and drove further with a smaller belt bypassing the blower.
    Today I also pulled the case and saw a nicked ouputshaft(small nick)
    And a broken pin from 1 of the races.
    To be shure I order races, balls and output shaft.
    I have very low miles sins the rebuilt and converting to the VR4, so I was thinking, could the broken pin be the one that messed up and caught up between the balls ?
    The races are still in place but 1(with the broken pin) has turned a bit.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Junior SCH Member
    I am about to rebuild my SN2000 because it had started to whine at higher RPMs, I tore it down and found nothing that jumps at you. Can you tell if your race is trying to turn causing your whine. Also did your impelller rub on the case? Off topic When you upgraded to the VR4 did you keep the high output SN2000 impeller?

Mike

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Pounder, I have seen this many times and it is because the roll pin worked itself out. I always coat my pin with red loctite and use blue loctite on the races after I get the distance correct on the shims. Now if the pin needs removed you will need to drill it out because the red loctite will not allow that pin out no matter what you do including using a torch..Don't Ask...LOL
    MJN, VR4 is a different Impeller because it is 4".

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Thanks Speedytang, I did not used the locktide while rebuilding a year ago, so that could be it, I am going to use the locktide to.
    To bad I have to learn the hardway.

Mike,
    The impellor should not rub the case, most likely the balls are not round anymore, do it is not visable with the eyes.
    I also saw a lot of aluminum dust in the oil, but if your oil is clean, I can't think of anything else then balls.
    They are the cheaper parts of the blower $ 50 a set, so it may be wise to invest.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw