Thread: This cam too small ??

SCH Member

This cam too small ??

Blown 331 with 185 AFR heads v2-sq , the specs are below .. Let me know what you guys think .. Thanks

- INTAKE -

Duration : 282
    Lift : 0.496

- EXHAUST -

Duration : 286
    Lift : 0.512

LOBE : 112

Duration @ .050 , Intake : 222 Exhaust : 228

I think it's a great street/strip cam. A little bigger wouldn't hurt but it should run really well. What intake?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

SCH Member
    what I forgot to add is that those numbers are from a 1.6 r.r I have the 1.7, so my lift is a little bit higher, I forgot the equation on how to calculate it out but its a little bit higher...

to calculate you take the life divided it by 1.6 then times it by 1.7

SCH Member
    im using the TFS track heat intake to match my 75mm accufab throttle body

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I'll 2nd what the regattaman said, but with one footnote: you don't want to run very much compression with this cam in a blown 331. Keep it down to 9.0 or less, 8.5:1 from dishtops would be just about perfect. If you are planning on running flattops and making like 9.7:1 or slightly more cr, then I would go with something with a little more duration that would bleed off some cylinder pressure. By my calcs, @ 9-10psi at 6k rpm and 8.5:1 CR should get you @ 550-560hp at the crank on pump gas.
    Chris

SCH Member
    my cr with dished SRS light weight pistons is 8.8.1 .. I got it dynoed it made 516 rwhp with 490 lb tq on chity 91 gas.. The tuner said theres plenty of room for growth w/ the motor, he did a " safe " tune with the car.. The cars peak would drop after 5200 - 5500 rpm, thats my cam .. But for right now im satisfied with my combo, nice street/strip combo.. Im about to buy MM TQ kit w/ there starter box an a new rear end so now I should be able to feel some traction with this car.. But after that new cam with bigger injectors , bigger MAF an an air to water cooler with a 8" crank renegade pulley with a Reichard pulley , I should be well over 560 rwhp .. My original goal with this combo was anything over 500 rwhp so Im happy, goal with the motor 550+ rwhp

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    There you go then! My net HP prediction was only a few HP shy of your chassis dyno results, depending on what dyno type and auto or manual trans, you are probably right around 580 or so at the crank. I always try to predict output on the conservative side to avoid any potential for disappointment after a part is installed :-)

I am slightly surprised to hear that this grind does not pull all the way to 6k rpm. I'd like to see a graph of your dyno run. Does the HP curve keep going upward until 5200-5500 and then fall off quickly, or does it sort of chatter up and down and hang at the peak HP number for a few hundred rpm before it starts to drop? What rpm did it make peak tq?

EDIT: sorry, what is a MM TQ kit ?
    Last edited by fanglemeister; 05-26-2005 at 02:43 PM.
    Chris