Thread: Vortech ys questions

Junior SCH Member

Vortech ys questions

Wondering, how much if any you can over spin a blower (safely, If that makes any sense) Also, generally which sized pullies usually will create more boost? I have not messed around w/the pullies at all yet. I have a ys ps mount and wondering what the max boost level would be. I have a cog setup and have had trouble keeping a belt on it, maybe to tight to loose? How tight do you tighten a cog belt? Thanks, any info would help!
    Last edited by team od; 04-06-2005 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correction

With Cogs, you'd probably not want to overspin it based on the calculation. When calculating for a serpentine, you probably have a little room to over spin it based on the calculation since it will be slipping a little.

Also if you start to overspin the blower it becomes inefficient and starts making extra heat rather than good boost. Heat is bad. :blob:

What size pulies you running now?
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member

Talking

I have a 75 crank and a 27 blower, and the car turns 6250 for rpm. I believe I should be right on target at 59,900, or will I be better to bring it up to 65,000? I also had a question on how tight to run my belt? My renegade buddy tells me tight as hell, but he's not runnin a cog either. And also, is there a way to estimate what the boost level is at that? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNBY
    With Cogs, you'd probably not want to overspin it based on the calculation. When calculating for a serpentine, you probably have a little room to over spin it based on the calculation since it will be slipping a little.

Also if you start to overspin the blower it becomes inefficient and starts making extra heat rather than good boost. Heat is bad. :blob:

What size pulies you running now?

I believe the tension it to be around 65 lbft on a cogs setup. Don't hold me to this as this is more hear say. I know it is to be tight but not super tight like a serp setup.

I would say your good on RPM's.
    As for the boost...there are so many variables. My guess is around 18psi
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D