Thread: Give me some opinions please. . .

Junior SCH Member

Give me some opinions please. . .

Hey guys, first time caller, long time listener. I have this project and was wondering if you guys could give me some opinions and/or suggestions on it. Now I know it is going to sound really bad when I lay it out there, so please bare with me. What I got going is a 92GT with a stock bottom end, F303 cam, Windsor Sr. Iron Heads, Saleen/Vortech intake, 36lb injectors, no FMU, SN95 fuel rails, 255 intank, Trex inline, and to top it off, a T-trim with 31/73 cog pulleys. I have a Mallory Hyfire VI with a 3bar map sensor. I have total timing set at 30* and run with the spout out. I am pulling .5 degree out per 1lb of boost and only run 114 race gas. Also using Autolite 23s gapped at .035. Fuel pressure is set at 50psi and so far the duty cycle hasn't gone over 85% but at only 10lbs of boost. The bypass valve is currently in less than working order as it is bleeding off all of the boost. So, what do you guys think of the timing settings and fuel settings. There is a FMU that could be installed, but I have been told that the 36s, if kept in check by the fuel pressure, should be borderline for 500rwhp which is where I would want to limit this for now. I have a PMS also installed but I have just mainly been using it to monitor everything and had plans to use it for the fuel if need be, while letting the Mallory take care of the timing. What do you guys think of this idea? Any thoughts, suggestions, or "dude, your a terrorist building a bomb like that" are accepted. :freaks: :D
    Last edited by PulpDogsRacing; 04-19-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I don't see anything wrong with the timing on race gas, but the 36# injectors at 500rwhp are rolling the dice. Yes, I see you upped the pressure to 50, but when the car is cruising along in closed loop mode, it is seeing a rich condition, and constantly figuring out how much pulsewidth to trim to make the injectors act like they are supposed to.

With the PMS you can fix this very easily: up your base fuel pressure to 55 psi and tell the eec that you are running 40 pound injectors, and it will stop trying to constantly correct the rich condition in closed loop being caused by the elevated fuel pressure.

The other factor you have to look at is the headroom on the MAF meter, if you are running a 36# meter you don't want to run out of meter at 5600 rpm or so...
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    That can't be done with the pre-04 PMS though can it?

Beats the snot out of me, I'm an eec-tuner guy :-P

I only know for sure that injectors rated for 36 Lb/hr at 43.5 psi will flow 40.5 Lb/hr at 55 psi, and if you don't do something about it, the eec will start to trim fuel over time.

Are you on the stangtuning.com forum? There's some savvy PMS guys over there.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Yea, well, since the last message I just found out that I now have a set of 42s to go in it so that should solve that problem. :D

If you are datalogging with your PMS (dataq?), keep an eye on keeping duty cycle under 90%, as well as watching for MAF voltage approaching 4.99v ceiling. Also might want to put fuel rails on your "Christmas in April" wish list. <grin>
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Well we got some eigth mile times the other night. In three passes, it went a 6.98, 6.94, 6.95 all at 99mph with 1.48-.50 60' times. The 36s were still in and the duty cycle maxed out, floating around 97%. We had enough of that, much before it ever got started, and the 42s along with a new fuel system is being installed.

Nice numbers, sounds like you'll be needing those 42s Pulp Dog! What kind of fuel system are you talking about installing?

I'd estimate that you are *very* close to your 500hp target if you are anywhere near 3200# race weight. You'd be looking at 10.80s @ 124-125 in the 1/4 with your current tune.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    It's an Aeromotive setup. The car, as it goes down the track, weighs 3175. We were only seeing 15lbs of boost @ 6000 through the traps, which I thought odd, but just took it as a good thing since we were pushing the fuel setup as it was.

Junior SCH Member
    Well, some delays have set back the installation of the fuel system. But as an update, we have took the car to the local eigth mile track twice more. What happened is really surprising us. I put a couple of more pounds of fuel pressure in the car and I believe it was wanting it. Last week, the car ran a string of 6.8s, with a best of a 6.82 @ 101.54mph. Then, the other night, the car surprised the hell out of us by going 6.7s, with a best of a 6.68 @ 103.12mph. As of yesterday we got the fuel system and the 42s in the car, so now we need to change the fuel pressure back around. We are still planning on spraying a 50-75 shot on top of it. In the beginning it was all a joke, but now I kind of hope it holds long enough to go some 6.2's. Will see. :D