Thread: problems!!!!!

Junior SCH Member

problems!!!!!

hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me out. i have a 93 cobra with an S-trim and afr 165 heads and all the bolt on's. i just recently put 42's with no fmu and an 80 mm c&l mass air. the car drives and idles good, except with i nail it. it seems i have more power at 3/4 throttle than open thottle. as soon as i hit wot, the car lags and doesn't pull. my fuel pressure increases as i get into boost, but the car doesn't go. i have the base pressure at 58psi, as anything less and the car sputters. i thought it could be my mass air, but who knows? also, i have two fuel pumps, 190 in tank and the vortech inline. thanks

It sounds like all this car needs is to have a reputable shop dyno-tune this with a custom chip. There are adjustments that they can make through this that will make your car spot on!!
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

Defintly sounds MAF related. Have you tried clocking the meter?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    well, i will get it tuned eventually, but i feel i can get it running somewhat decent before i do that. last night i turned the car on, then diconnected the meter, and the car revved up fine, and once i would connect it back, it would miss. i'm just going to return the c&l and try to purchase the pro-m if i can, i heard they went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra3881
    well, i will get it tuned eventually, but i feel i can get it running somewhat decent before i do that. last night i turned the car on, then diconnected the meter, and the car revved up fine, and once i would connect it back, it would miss. i'm just going to return the c&l and try to purchase the pro-m if i can, i heard they went out of business.
    where s your timing at? with or with out spout plug
    88 gt vert
    1.45 60'
    10.42@130

Junior SCH Member
    I have my timing at 20 degrees total, spout out. I have yet to install the BTM. I ran the car with this timing when i had the 24's, 73 C&L, and FMU. The car ran very good, it went 120 through the traps without being able to use second gear (no traction). The car never pinged, and i did try the spout in method, i put the timing at 10, and as soon as i floored the car, it pinged (very loud). That's why i have not put the spout back in. I'am thinking the mass air was working properly, so this weekend i hope i can find a pro-m at Fun Ford Weekend in Houston.

Junior SCH Member
    I have a 92 Stang, 347 stroker, s-trim, C&L meter, etc...

I was experiencing the same problem after I installed my powerpipe.

Got a dyno-tune and now make 470rwhp/495rwtq STD with no issues.

Get a dyno-tune!!!

I hope our track rental isn't cancelled for tomorrow (4/29), I want to see how it runs compared to my untuned 11.8@122.

Howard
    2001 Dodge Viper GTS - Yellow/Black stripes
    11.67@120.56 (1.68 60')

92 LX Vert auto - FOR SALE
    347 stroker w/ Vortech S-trim
    11.27@124.56 (1.81 60') car also ran a 1.66 60'
    470rwhp/495rwtq

Junior SCH Member
    i hope i finally fixed my mass air problems. when i went to fun ford weekend, i talked to a representative of diablo chips. i told him my problems and he told me since i have a 93 cobra, the computer is different. he told me i was probably running lean ( i had to put the fuel pressure high) and that if i purchased an 80 pro-m for 42's the same thing was going to happen. he told me to buy a 80 pro-m for 36's. well, i bought it and put it on last night and wow, what a difference. the car reved fast, no sputtering, missing, or anything. plus, i have the fuel pressure at 42, and i can smell a little bit of gas. i do have one question i wanted to ask. for the last couple of weeks i haven't been making the same boost as when i first put the blower on. i was making 11lbs, now i'm making about 8-9lbs. i was thinking my belt is little loose. since i have put a couple of hundred miles on the car, the belt might have streched. i can squeeze it and it has some play. the only think is how do you tighten it. the way i have been doing it is to have somebody push down on the tensioner while i tighten the three bolts. i can't get a ratchet on the tensioner bolt because the shroud and fan are right next to the blower (no space). how tight should it be? is there another way to tighten the belt? thanks

Junior SCH Member
    I bought one of those inexpensive $20 belt tensioners, it works great.

Glad you got your maf issues worked out.

My tuner tuned my C&L 42# meter to run with my new 55# injectors. It idles and runs great.

I ended up running a 11.27@124.56 on a soft 1.81 60' on my 2nd and final pass ( I blew a headgasket).

1st pass the car ran 11.6@123+ with a 1.66 60', but we got squirelly on the 1-2 shift and it cost us the run.

Uf we would have cut another 1.66 on the 11.2 run we would have had 10.9s on Drag Radials, oh well NEXT TIME!

On the bright side, my stock 2001 Viper GTS ran 11.67@120.56 on 1.68 60' time.

I have vids if anyone wants to see them.

Howard
    Last edited by 00whitegtvert; 05-02-2005 at 04:54 PM.
    11.67@120.56 (1.68 60')

470rwhp/495rwtq

Junior SCH Member
    where did you find the belt tensioner, at a local parts store?

Junior SCH Member
    On ebay they have them all the time.

Look under Vortech Belt tensioner or supercharger belt tensioner.

They sell for $20-$30.

You can also go to www.elkperformance.com

Howard
    11.67@120.56 (1.68 60')

470rwhp/495rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by cobra3881
    i hope i finally fixed my mass air problems. when i went to fun ford weekend, i talked to a representative of diablo chips. i told him my problems and he told me since i have a 93 cobra, the computer is different. he told me i was probably running lean ( i had to put the fuel pressure high) and that if i purchased an 80 pro-m for 42's the same thing was going to happen. he told me to buy a 80 pro-m for 36's. well, i bought it and put it on last night and wow, what a difference. the car reved fast, no sputtering, missing, or anything. plus, i have the fuel pressure at 42, and i can smell a little bit of gas. i do have one question i wanted to ask. for the last couple of weeks i haven't been making the same boost as when i first put the blower on. i was making 11lbs, now i'm making about 8-9lbs. i was thinking my belt is little loose. since i have put a couple of hundred miles on the car, the belt might have streched. i can squeeze it and it has some play. the only think is how do you tighten it. the way i have been doing it is to have somebody push down on the tensioner while i tighten the three bolts. i can't get a ratchet on the tensioner bolt because the shroud and fan are right next to the blower (no space). how tight should it be? is there another way to tighten the belt? thanks
    Yeah you won't get it nearly tight enough with someone just pushing down on it. the ebay tensioner should help but you should be able to get a 1/2" breaker bar on the tensioner. It should be pretty tight. A good bit tighter than the acc belt.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    thanks guys, i'll look on ebay. i think i will try the 1/2 breaker bar first.