Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning !!! Canadian Insurance Companies.

Warning !!! Canadian Insurance Companies.

Hey guys

This is just a warning to any canadians driving a modified vehicle under a regular insurance policy. I have been having major issues trying to keep my car insured and have now gone through 3 companies to due so and it looks like now my latest one no longer wants me. I have a clean driving record and have owned 7 brand new vehicle and have never had a claim ...ever ! I am now 29 years old and am common law. A modified vehicle means anything different from stock including lower springs or hoods ?????? This is getting rediculous! Please check out this story

http://www.solocanada.ca

You end up with someone else hitting you and that could be the end of it !
    If you are found to have a modified vehicle your Insurance is Voided and you will be placed on a High Risk Group with every other insurance company for not following policy. Also if you were to cause the accident, you can now be sued by the indivdual because the company will not back you at all.

If anyone knows who I can reach in the government to try and raise this growing concern please let me know.

Thanks
    Last edited by Motleydrew; 04-26-2005 at 12:23 PM.
    ----------------
    Rock n Roll :p

Senior SCH Member
    I went through all that crap last year. My car being an 1989 model qualifies for this company's plan which allows for modifications. There are some things you can not do with your car. Must have another vehicle as a daily driver, cant go shopping with the Stang and can't go to work with it, car must be 15 years or older. I know that's a lot of rules, but I went from 1250$ a year to $200- with better coverage!!

http://www.lant-ins.ca/

thanks bud but that Company is now not taking on heavily modded vehicles anymore. They were the first company I tried and I beleive IAN called the today as well and they want no part of us !

I will keep looking into this a will post any findings.

Thanks for the input !
    ----------------

Senior SCH Member
    Damn!! funny I just sent them $$ for another year of coverage.

Senior SCH Member
    Did Ian get his insurance cancelled?

Cancelled no, but if I get into an accident I loose my insurance on the spot. Basically it is like driving with no insurance which means I will not be driving.

Some will risk it, but what if you kill someone? They will take everything you have.

It does not look like we will be able to find a company that wants the cars, I still thinking what I could do. Part it out, turn it back to stock, race car only, ect.. A new mustang or bike may be in my future as I will go nuts with nothing all summer.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    Belair Direct told me they would not insure me anymore. I hope I don't go through this crap again this year - if so I'm selling (probably)- cheap to someone in Quebec. I'm tired of this crap.

Senior SCH Member
    Motleydrew, is you car off the road now?

I'm going to call my insurance company today/tomorrow to find out where I stand.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Jason,

You have gone as far as we have so if your company says no problem you let us know!! :D

Ian

Yeah, I will. Any word from Brian or is that on hold pending insurance????
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Motleydrew, is you car off the road now?
    Hey Alex

It is not off the road yet but is no longer insured by the regular company I was with. My broker has me bound to Nordique insurance company now which takes accident prone people and drunk drivers, etc.

They are willing to take my car on for $200.00 a month. I am used to paying about $80.00. They have my apprasial sheet and a list of the mods and seem to be willing but at a price. If my car was in a bad accident they said they would right it off for the appraised price of $18,000.00. Stock 1993 stang right off is $4000.00 at best.

I have been given a grace period of a month to decide what I want to do as Nordique has insured me for this month free of charge so I can make a decision. My broker is Jim Mulvihill and his number is 613 623-3123, tell him Drew sent ya :)

Someone needs to provide better rates !
    ----------------

Hey, I just go off the phone with The Personal Insurance Co. and guess what....... in 17 days they are pulling the coverage on my "modified" Mustang. Of course they don't mind keeping the other 2 "stock" cars and the house etc. The woman on the phone made it sound like any cosmetic mods (wheels, stereo, whatever) were fine but as soon as "performance enhancing modifications" as she called them were installed that is it for you. What a joke, no tickets, no claims, had the car for 10+ years and only use it like 5000km a year in the summer in the backwoods upper Ottawa valley. I can see the huge risk, whatever! If I buy a factory 500hp car then everything is OK but don't try and build your own because you can't get insurance.
    The only up side to all this is the car is still in pieces in the garage. If it was ready to roll I would really be pissed off right now.
    Last edited by darknotch; 04-29-2005 at 02:52 PM.
    Jason

Senior SCH Member
    I just read a complete Ontario automobile isnurance policy (Belair Direct). And nowhere does it say if the car is altered/modified coverage will be denied. In fact the only thing they talk about is if the car is raced, used in timed events, or in an illegal way (drug smuggling?) would be the reason for denial. I think the insurance companies are getting rid of high risk customers - I don't think they can deny a claim for it though.
    ***show me where its written***

Hey Alex

When you do an online quote with Bel-Air Direct one of the last questions is "Do you have over $1500.00 dollars worth of mods" If you select no they accept it and want comfirmation of the mods by appraisal. If you select more than $1500.00 dollars they say to call a number where they tell you, sorry , we don't insure cars like that ! This Sux !
    ----------------