Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning !!! Canadian Insurance Companies.

I also called Insurance Bureau of Canada

Head office
    151 Yonge Street, Suite 1900
    Toronto, Ontario M5C 2W7
    Tel: 416-362-2031; Fax: 416-361-5952

they said that the trend is that all normal type insurance companies are no longer doingg modded cars and that only High risk groups are taking them. This is exactly what I was told by my Broker.

All these companies run as idependants and can insure what they please
    ----------------
    Rock n Roll :p

Senior SCH Member
    Excactly my point, they're getting rid of high risk customers. Has anyone actually asked their insurance company where in the contract it states they can cancel for modifications? I was so pissed when it happend to me I hung up in the guys face - It doenst mean that they wont pay a claim if you have one. I think I will call the insurance bureau of Canada, I've got questions.

They can cancel for whatever reason they like. My parents got a letter in the mail from their insurance company that said the oil tank in their house was now too old according to their new regulations and that if it was not changed within 30 days their home insurance would be cancelled. In short, it is the insurance company's choice if they care to insure you or not (they are providing a service to you). If you choose not to disclose your mods then the insurance co. thinks you are driving a 92 notch (or whatever) like everyone else and this is what they are providing coverage for. According to them, as soon as you start adding performance enhancing mods then it is not the same car (different cost, differnt use?, likely more to cover) and they do not have/nor do they care to have a box/clause on thier computer to account for this. They do however, have a clause for business use of your personal vehicle, like delivering pizza. If you were delivering pizza and they were not aware of it and you had an accident while doing so and they found out I would bet there would be no coverage for you. Think I'm going to have to find one of those private insurance companies and let them nail my a$$ to the wall so I can drive a few km's in the summer. Or maybe I should sell the 92 now and start saving for the 07 GT-500! (no mods but 450hp)
    Last edited by darknotch; 04-30-2005 at 09:03 PM.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Darknotch, You and I have really similar setup :) I see your changing to 42's and pulleying up as well !

I had a new 2.95 Pulley made and sent my maf out for re-cal then was the 42's are in I am getting an SCT chip tuned at a local speed shop. Once I get my number from the dyno over there I will let you know. You and me would be a great race !!!!

take care Bud
    ----------------

Senior SCH Member
    There is a place in Ottawa that burns chips?

Yep Tapp Auto..

Ian

Drew, I'm going to bypass the chip and go straight to the PMS....... if I can get some #*&^ing insurance, man this sucks.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Alex - Ya I am going to TAPP auto, the guy is a geneous ! They have a dyno there as well so the tune should be great !

Darknotch - Ian is the expert on those PMS thingy's :) Ya the insurance thing is awful but it looks like I am going to bite the bullet and pay the $190.00 a month for 6 months :(
    ----------------

I just called Drew's guy and will let you know what the quote is tomorrow :)

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    I bought a PMS, works great! - Just need to get some time and tune it - It fixed my idle issues in less than 30 seconds! Darknotch, you will need a wideband 02 to get the most out of it though.

Ian, keep me posted on the insurance thing.

Senior SCH Member

Question

Heres a couple of pics, I don't think you guys have seen them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alex; 05-02-2005 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Trying to upload pics

Senior SCH Member
    Where are the pics??

Alex, I just installed the WMS wideband..... only need the PMS.

Drew, or Ian, which insurance company is this you are talking about. What do you get for the $190/month? Can you pay for only the 6 months you drive?

Tonight, I'm rebuilding a used 130A alternator I just picked up to keep up with the Ramcharger - I think I killed my battery last year with the underdrives on the stock alternator.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by darknotch
    Alex, I just installed the WMS wideband..... only need the PMS.

Drew, or Ian, which insurance company is this you are talking about. What do you get for the $190/month? Can you pay for only the 6 months you drive?

Tonight, I'm rebuilding a used 130A alternator I just picked up to keep up with the Ramcharger - I think I killed my battery last year with the underdrives on the stock alternator.

Hey bud

I am going through a broker and he is saying its a High Risk company. For $190.00 I will get full coverage, collision, 1,000,000 comprehensive, fire , and theft. I believe you can pay monthly, that is what I want to do. I will PM you my brokers name.
    ----------------

Senior SCH Member
    How come I cant put up some pics?