Thread: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Senior SCH Member

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

From last nights street legal 1/8 mile drags here in sunny San Diego...

The Good - Our man Doug finally gets his notch out to the track. Five or six passes by my count, as the shakedown begins. I'll let him provide all the juicy (pardon the pun) details. Car ran nice and straight though (for a change).

The Bad - Two of my racing buddies lost their motors last night. Both are great racers and are running well in our local Summit series. Hopefully, neither case is terminal, but they both sounded pretty bad.

The Ugly - One of our fast local racers (name withheld by choice) put his beautiful Nova on its roof - twice. Quite a barrel role as it was told (I was in the pits at the time). The driver walked away unharmed. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for his car. He was in a bracket race with a crazy fast Pinto. Both were dialed in at 6.2, with 6.1 being the ET limit for the track (actually, it's a parking lot). Apparently, he just missed the Pinto as his car darted across the track towards the K rail.

My car remains in paint jail. It should be up for parole in a few weeks, and then there will be a probation period while it gets put back together. Then, my shakedown will begin.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)

My car actually did better than I thought it would. I can't even begin to explain how nervous I was. The first pass I was going to do a 60 footer and see how it launched. I did the burnout(I was a little scared that I wouldn't be able to spin the big *** tires) and headed to the line. I put it on the brake and let it rip, at the top of first gear it still felt nice and straight so I pulled second gear and it was still going straight. I went through the traps at a pathetic 6.7@101 motor pass with a 1.50 sixty foot. My next pass was a 6.5@107 motor pass. I decided to start off the nitrous with a little 150 jet and see how it went. The first nitrous pass was a 6.3@113 with a 1.44 sixty foot, the last pass of the night was a 6.2@114 with a 1.40 sixty. All in all I am quite pleased with the way it ran for the first time out. Next time out I'll stick the big jets in it and see how it runs.

BTW
    For you 1/4 mile guys, a 6.2 is a mid 9 second pass.

SCH Member
    David Randy sent another Valve thru the head. I am not sure what we are gonna do yet maybe I will let him use my heads. Well my Short block gets freshend up after I come back from the PSCA. Ron is ok from that wreck I called him when I got home friday night. Then I called him today he is looking for a glass body to throw on the car.

Doug,

we missed your trash talking @ the heads up race up @ Barona. we could have used someone to beat on. Im right on your tail amigo, step it up or get left behind. I ran 2 6.41's on the small tuneup, the big tuneup is on the way Rustang Boy. ROFLMBO.

Seriously, Im glad you are getting the car all dialed in. I know now nerve racking it is to run a brand new car (motor aside), & it takes a few runs to get it all dialed in & the comfort level to go back up. Im wondering how deep into the 9's (/8's) your gonna get the car.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com