Thread: Need some help with a B16A motor.

Junior SCH Member

Need some help with a B16A motor.

I have a '00 Civic Si w/8500 miles on it. I have a Vortech Aftercooled system with 10 p.s.i. I only have about 2500 miles on the system, and ever since the install I've had oil in the air filter. I can not figure out how it is getting there. I took it back to the shop that installed the Vortech and they said the s/c needed to be rebuilt cause the seals were bad. I couldn't understand how the seals could go bad with just a 1K miles on it. So off to Vortech the s/c goes to be rebuilt last April '04. Now Nov. '04 and the same thing happens, air filter soaked with oil. I call Vortech and they send me a completely new s/c in Dec. '04. I take the car out of winter storage 4/29/05 drive it over the weekend and it's starting again. Yesterday I adjusted the valves to 0.006 intake, and 0.007 exhuast just like it says in the factory Honda service manual. I then do a compression check after warming the engine up and removing all the plugs and here is the result:
    #1 - 205 psi
    #2 - 205
    #3 - 175
    #4 - 205

The service manual says they can't be below 135 psi and can not vary more than 28 psi between cylinders.

What could be wrong?

Junior SCH Member
    still have the problem?
    1993 LX Hatchback
    408, Canfield Heads, Trick Flow Intake, Ys trim, Gen 7, PA-Super Leaker C-4,3.27 diff, 83lbs inj,kooks 2" into 3.5 collectors, Dr. gas 3" X pipe,Bassani 3" cat back,Second Street Speed Twin in-tank Bosch,Solid roller cam,Jesel Shaft mount rockers,VP C-16,Mallory HyFire667c

10 # 10 rib TKO=625 rwhp
    17 # COG C-4=650 rwhp
    NEW SETUP(porting and valvetrain mods)
    18 # COG C-4=725 rwhp
    ...about my horsepower curve...well there isn't any curve....kinda straight up...then straight across...hahaha
    1 gallon VP C-16 $8.50
    1 supercharger COG belt $110
    Smoking the tires from a 100mph roll $PRICELESS

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mainestreetking
    still have the problem?
    Yes, today I did a cylinder leak down test and #3 16% loss. Cylinders #1,#2,#4, were 8% loss. What could be wrong? When I did #3 you could hear the air coming out the oil filler cap. That is why the oil is getting into the air filter. I'm just really pissed right now, because I know the shop that did the install beat on my car causing this problem. My car only had 5K miles on it when I took it to them.

SCH Member
    Could be that detonation ruined the rings and/or pistons. Sounds similar to an old stroker engine I had in the Mustang. After tearing down the engine, I found one pison's ring lands had colapsed. Good luck.