Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Belt to tight Broke the Crankshaft

Thread: Belt to tight Broke the Crankshaft

Junior SCH Member

Belt to tight Broke the Crankshaft

Here's the story, I got a little hasty and instead of waiting for my Larger
    pulleys so I could fix my Belt slippage problem with the VR4 blower, I instead
    tightened the Cr&p out of the belt, and man this thing ran awesome 13psi
    all the time.
    Well after two days it broke the snout on the Crank just behind the balancer (CR&P), anyways the Engine still runs just that the balancer is
    broken off.
    SO THE DAM THING NEEDS A CRANK.

Instead of dumping more $$$ (I estamate 2,000 for a good crank & extra's) into a hobby just for me I'm selling it and all my spare's and Extra's, and going to buy a new truck with a Blower (Magnacharger RADIX) of course and a boat so the wife and kids can enjoy my hobby Boating, Skiing, partying.
    Last edited by LBSZ28BLOWN; 05-06-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    92 Convertable Z28 Supercharged 355cid, 9.5 to1, tpi Auto:
    All Forged internals, 6in rods, O-ringed heads, Copper head gaskets, w/Paxton VR4 13psi, CC blower cam .560 .570 @ .230 .235 dur @ .50 114LS, Ram air mod,100% methanol injection intercooling. W/ PAC controller,52mm T/B,ASM Large tube runners, ported upper & lower TPIS Bigmouth intakes,AFPR set to 55psi,36# injectors,1.6 Pro Magnum roller rockers,slp 1 3/4 headers,Dual 4in. Super High Flow cats,3in. gale banks cat back system,3.42 gears,17x9.5 Front, 17x11 Rear, Vett ZR1 wheels, 275x40x17 Front, 315x35x17 Rear G-Force tires,and much more, Check my web site for pics and mods.
    http://www.lbsz28blown.cz28.com

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Aye :weird:

I am sorry to hear that, now I know I will not tighten the Cr&p out of my belt becouse I have that slipping problem to.
    Better look for bigger pulleys or more rib's.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Senior SCH Member
    I used a slightly longer belt for better wrap. Got it off a 2.3 Ford accessory belt setup.

F=MA

Junior SCH Member
    Your selling the car??? Would you be looking to sell your VR4 head unit??? please let me know. thanks

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen88
    Your selling the car??? Would you be looking to sell your VR4 head unit??? please let me know. thanks
    No, if I don't sell the car then I may just fix it, so I would need to keep the vr4.
    92 Convertable Z28 Supercharged 355cid, 9.5 to1, tpi Auto:
    All Forged internals, 6in rods, O-ringed heads, Copper head gaskets, w/Paxton VR4 13psi, CC blower cam .560 .570 @ .230 .235 dur @ .50 114LS, Ram air mod,100% methanol injection intercooling. W/ PAC controller,52mm T/B,ASM Large tube runners, ported upper & lower TPIS Bigmouth intakes,AFPR set to 55psi,36# injectors,1.6 Pro Magnum roller rockers,slp 1 3/4 headers,Dual 4in. Super High Flow cats,3in. gale banks cat back system,3.42 gears,17x9.5 Front, 17x11 Rear, Vett ZR1 wheels, 275x40x17 Front, 315x35x17 Rear G-Force tires,and much more, Check my web site for pics and mods.
    http://www.lbsz28blown.cz28.com

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    I used a slightly longer belt for better wrap. Got it off a 2.3 Ford accessory belt setup.

F=MA
    How is a longer belt going to help against belt slip ?
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.

Senior SCH Member
    It wraps around the pulley for more of its circumference, thus providing a larger friction surface, thus less slip and lower tension needed. The ultimate restriction here is where the tensioner is, as you can only get so much wrap before the top run of the belt hits the lower one. I'm within an inch or so, about as close as you'd want.

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    Louis,

CNC motor sports is where I got my eagel 4340 crank for under 400 bucks! They sell "blem's" that are turned by eagle and the quality is as good as new! They Xray the cranks for cracks ect. I would throw one of the 4340 blems in your engine, check the heads for any bent valves, I had 3 on mine when this happened. Zip here back up. I bet this whole thing will only cost you 5-600 bucks if you get away with no damage to the valves.

IF you need any help, I will do my best for ya bro!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    It wraps around the pulley for more of its circumference, thus providing a larger friction surface, thus less slip and lower tension needed. The ultimate restriction here is where the tensioner is, as you can only get so much wrap before the top run of the belt hits the lower one. I'm within an inch or so, about as close as you'd want.

F=MA
    Sounds logical, thanks
    Greets, Marco