Thread: Car is running but not seeing any FP

Car is running but not seeing any FP

I finally got everything done with my car and today I fired it up. It hunts for an idle and will stall out if I don't keep my foot on the gas pedal. I've had my battery disconnected for about 7 months so maybe the computer just has to relearn everything. I've clocked my MAF so the connector is almost at 12 o'clock. When the car was running, it was pulling vacuum but I wasn't seeing and fuel pressure on my gauge. The vacuum line on the FPR was disconnected when I started the car. Could it be something with my wiring? The boost/vacuum gauge works fine but the fuel pressure gauge isn't registering any fuel pressure and I don't want to drive the car if I don't know where my FP is at. Any help would be great!
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Also, when the car has been running for a few minutes and I shut it off, there is some smoke coming from the back of the engine...somewhere behind the intake or down by the header flanges. I made sure no wires or hoses were touching or near the headers so it can't be a hose burning up...any ideas?

OK, I took off my discharge tube, bypass, inlet tube, MAF, air filter, and spark plug wires. I unplugged the connector from the sender and fiddled with the sender. I got back in the car and turned the key so the accessories would come on...they did and my FP gauge went from 0 to 100 (because I didn't have the wires connected to the sender). I connected the wires back up and tried it again just to make sure everything was working. Sure enough, FP came down to about 30 psi and stopped.

I put everything back on the car and went to start it up...no reading from the FP gauge. It was stuck on 30 psi. Even if I adjust the FP at the regulator, the gauge still reads 30 psi. Why would the gauge read pressure with everything off but when I put everything back on (discharge, bypass, etc.) it doesn't read pressure? WTF is going on? I'm really stumped now.

Did you maybe attach the wires wrong? That can blow the sender and you will have to get a new one.

If the gauge is stuck @ 30, I would replace the sender.

Ian

Ok, I got it working...It reads about 32 psi and when I turn the key to turn the fuel pump on, it will jump to 41 psi. Then I start the car and it's back down to 32 psi. This is with the vacuum off BTW. After the car started, it idles like a freaking dream. No hunting for a idle, no surging, so nothing. It just sat at 800 rpm and didn't move! I tried adjusting the nut on the FPR to see if the pressure would change but it didn't. It just stayed at 32 psi. It's wierd...the gauge is only reading 32 psi at idle with the vacuum off and the car idles like a dream. Even after I connected the vacuum line, the car still idled good.

I feel stupid for admitting this but here was the problem...I had my metal work light hanging from my hood. Sometimes when I leave it on the hood and I go to start the car, it won't start. I disconnect the battery and remove the work light. Connect the battery back up and ta-da! All systems go.

When you play with the fuel pressure, give it a little gas - that should get the FP rising.

Ian

I was giving it gas. It didn't move. It goes to 41 psi when the fuel pump turns on but then drops back down to 32 and stays there. It's wierd.

I gave it gas with and without the vacuum line connected and nothing. Should I try disconnecting my battery for 20 minutes to reset everything?

After more messing around, I got the FP up around 42 psi. It's dark and cold now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test drive it. I can't wait. I feel like it's Christmas Eve, lol :D