Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My LS1 YSi setup

Thread: My LS1 YSi setup

My LS1 YSi setup

Finally it has all come together and is on the road.

Im copying and pasting my writeup from another forum, but as far as the YSi and my LS1 are concerned, its all good now. It was a long road to fitting it and making it work, but it has been worth it.

Mostly good news all round. Car is on road and driving well, passed MOT on saturday. Throttle problem sorted, and now gettin 100% throttle.
    I'm in the middle of changing rear coilovers to sort the axle drop allowing the prop to hit the diagnol link.
    1 piece prop isnt working out too bad, although after max rpm 4th gear, and once into 5th, car develops a very nasty vibration, which I can only put down to prop out of balance, so thats not so good. Havent tried to see if it will drive through it, as it doesnt feel nice given the speed its travelling at the time, circa 130 or so. prop speed would be about 7000rpm at that point, which funnily enough coincides with the "Critical Speed" for the 3" 4130 shaft, which the makers claim is to be avoided. personally I feel that would be an impossible scenario for any car. I did have a local firm shorten the shaft slightly though, so they will be getting it to re-balance.

Good news is that the LS1 engine performs superbly. Massive torque, sounds great, and revs cleanly and powerfully easily to 6k.
    I did a couple of easy 1/4 test runs with my AX-22 ( GPS based accelerometer device ), and best of 2 was about 13.2 @ 107mph, and estimating about 360bhp @ wheels. ( vehicle weight etc entered ) which would be on par with what Id expect from the engine. Im sure with practise and a better surface, high 12's would be possible.
    Downside is that so far, it seems to be very very fond of petrol :-(
    T56 is good, feels nice and selects gears easily. Std clutch also feels good, and is holding well. Its massive though.

Then the fun started. I hooked up the blower. After a bit of tweaking and couple of problems with the belt, its running well. Initial attempt using 2 6rib belts, left one shredded lol. I think it was more down to pulley alignment, as even when I used a single belt, it jumped across a rib from where I installed it. Luckily when the belt broke/tore didnt do any other damage though. Just running a single 6 rib for now. Its plenty for current power anyway. Blower whine/noise isnt that nice, almost irritating. But sounds cool initially.
    Current pulleys ( 8.25/4 ) on std engine are giving me 9psi @ 6000rpm, which is about as high as most reccommend. So that worked out well. CR is 10:1 so again to take that boost is good.
    Engine pulls very strongly now, but much better from about 4500rpm upwards. Biggest upside is that as I hoped power delivery means Im not breaking the tyres loose as much as I was with the old engine.
    Thats not to say it wont spin the wheels, but its much easier to control it. There is huge torque mid-range, but now the way a turbo hits.

Testing again with the AX-22, best was 12.4 @ 121mph. 60fts are about 2.2 secs ( at least I think thats what the first time it displays is ), 1/8th mile around 8ish @ 93. A good improvement, but definately room for more , as its hard to test on public roads on ok run, 60 is coming up around 5 secs ( or a tad less ) and 100 in under 10 secs without too much difficulty.
    AX-22 now suggesting about 500bhp @ wheels which sounds about right for boost etc.

A set of soft tyres and a good track should see easy 11's I think. Might even get into the 11's with road tyres, and some practise. Need to do a few more adjustments and I'll have a few more goes.

Its definately all been worth it. Now its time to start building a proper engine, that will take some boost and start making some REAL power

Have to say, for anyone considering an LS1 or any V8, I am very impressed so far, and would reccomend them to anyone considering a V8 conversion.
    Project pics in general http://gallery112848.fotopic.net/c332887.html

Junior SCH Member
    Wow. very tidy.

What does the car weigh?

It weighs about 1650kgs ( 3630 lbs ) with me on board. It might be a bit heavier with the LS1 in it now, although I havent actually weighed it yet.
    That was with my last engine.