Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Eat a cog belt lately???

Thread: Eat a cog belt lately???

Junior SCH Member

Eat a cog belt lately???

I have this T-trim with a cog setup and it shreaded a belt last night. This is the second belt that I have been through. Everything looks straight and inline, so far as I can tell. Do you guys think that it is time to put a brace back to the strut tower? What are some other things I need to be looking for? Didn't realize this would be a problem with a cog setup, lol. Thanks. :weird:

Quote Originally Posted by PulpDogsRacing
    I have this T-trim with a cog setup and it shreaded a belt last night. This is the second belt that I have been through. Everything looks straight and inline, so far as I can tell. Do you guys think that it is time to put a brace back to the strut tower? What are some other things I need to be looking for? Didn't realize this would be a problem with a cog setup, lol. Thanks. :weird:
    Main reason I opted for 10 rib. Do you have 35mm or 50mm?
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Junior SCH Member
    They were 35mm belts. So you had better luck with the 10rib setup? May have to consider that.

Do you have room for 50mm. Would probably help your problem.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

I haven't ran it yet. Will know hopefully in 2 weeks.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNBY
    I haven't ran it yet. Will know hopefully in 2 weeks.
    I had the same prob..One fix 4 shredding 35mm belts is to add an idler pulley to the mix.It fixed it 4 me...I removed the bolt(Closest to fenderwell-bottom (L)on the tensioner bracket & installed a stud & idler pulley & spaced it w/washers..That w/give u more wrap on the cog & keeps the belt from flopping around(bottom side) when u decellerate or change gears...Still testing at track, but has worked so far...

Junior SCH Member
    Hey, sounds like a pretty good plan. Would you happen to have any pics of this?? I think I will give this a try. Thanks.

Not sure if this is what the midnight is talking about, but I know IAN makes a dual idler setup for cogs. Plus it will help eliminate braket flex.

Here is a link to an old post. Seems they removed the image. You could PM itlkick or IAN as well for a picture.
    http://www.superchargerhelp.com/showthread.php?t=5694

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

Senior SCH Member
    Don't know how to post pics.But if u send me a PM i w/give u phone number..There should not be a prob w/bracket flex since u should only b putting minimal tension w/cogs...

Here is the pic of the bracket with a cog system..

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by midnight
    There should not be a prob w/bracket flex since u should only b putting minimal tension w/cogs...
    Even though there is not a lot of tension on a COG setup, a thin braket will flex upon acceleration by pulling the blower in. A sturdy braket will still help if your throwing or chewing belts.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

Junior SCH Member
    I've given up on my cogs as i'm selling them and returning to a 10 rib set up, this time with 8 inch crank pulley....i need to detune anyway...and i think SOME slip is necessary.
    1993 LX Hatchback
    408, Canfield Heads, Trick Flow Intake, Ys trim, Gen 7, PA-Super Leaker C-4,3.27 diff, 83lbs inj,kooks 2" into 3.5 collectors, Dr. gas 3" X pipe,Bassani 3" cat back,Second Street Speed Twin in-tank Bosch,Solid roller cam,Jesel Shaft mount rockers,VP C-16,Mallory HyFire667c

10 # 10 rib TKO=625 rwhp
    17 # COG C-4=650 rwhp
    NEW SETUP(porting and valvetrain mods)
    18 # COG C-4=725 rwhp
    ...about my horsepower curve...well there isn't any curve....kinda straight up...then straight across...hahaha
    1 gallon VP C-16 $8.50
    1 supercharger COG belt $110
    Smoking the tires from a 100mph roll $PRICELESS

SCH Member

belt

I had the same problem with 16lbs and it was my blow off valve...... wasn't
    working correctly replaced it and more more stripped teeth.....just my 2 cents....
    93 coupe, T Trim cogged 16psi,
    victor jrs,victor 5.8 efi, 80mm tb&egr,
    lightning short block w/ forged trw's
    13/4 macs and 3 inch exh.... oh yeh,
    and a stick tremec 3550, w/ 3.73's = 600 rwhp
    ps...with belt issues fix'd and at 6000 rpm's
    :signs: :freaks:

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian®
    Here is the pic of the bracket with a cog system..

Ian
    Ian,

How much can I get one of those Idlers for and didn't you have an online store? How do I get to it>
    Ron Turransky
    Silly ricers, cars are for grown-ups.
    88 Saleen Hatch-306 5 sp
    92 LX Coupe 347 T-Trim/C-4 /Blah,Blah,Blah
    NMRA REN#4150
    NMRA SSO#8

We did, I closed it sometime ago.

Plans are now in the works to re-open. There is no ETA as yet.

Thanks.