Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Has anyone ever tapped an aftermarket oil pan?

Thread: Has anyone ever tapped an aftermarket oil pan?

Junior SCH Member

Has anyone ever tapped an aftermarket oil pan?

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to instal my new S-trim, and like most folks, I'm a little aprehensive about tapping the oil pan. Main reason being that I have a 7qt Moroso pan on my car. The pan is quite a bit thicker then stock, and I'm not really sure what to expect. Anyone ever tapped one of these? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Senior SCH Member
    have you looked into the DSS oil return fitting? looks like a nice piece.
    Scott
    1989 Saleen #492 Vortech S-trim, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage1 cam, Holley U/L, SD #55 injectors, PMS tuned

510RWHP/482RWTQ
    11.75@127 on Nitto DR's

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown1989saleen
    have you looked into the DSS oil return fitting? looks like a nice piece.
    Interesting...I wonder if it can be installed with the oil pan on the car? If so it might be the way to go

I have tapped the Canton 7qt model which I think is close to Moroso one. No problems but you want to be sure you are low enough to clear any intenal scraper/baffling if there is one/any on the pan. I made the hole in the Vortech position and it works but it is very close to the internal scraper and hard to tap.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darknotch
    I have tapped the Canton 7qt model which I think is close to Moroso one. No problems but you want to be sure you are low enough to clear any intenal scraper/baffling if there is one/any on the pan. I made the hole in the Vortech position and it works but it is very close to the internal scraper and hard to tap.

I don't believe mine has any baffling in the front but now that you mention it I might make the hole a tad bit lower to clear my main support and windage tray. Thanks for the info

Senior SCH Member
    U can tap it..I did to my Moroso...my new pan I did like this.

Stock Blocks are Unbreakable

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it tapped without too much trouble. It came out great, and there's plenty of threads. I think I actually had a harder time trying to buy the tap.