Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V2 SQ Pulley setup question

SCH Member
    did any one have trouble with their car after the super charger? my car runs fine but when i stiomp on the gas the car shakes, and it acts like it is going to die after a few moments it is ok. what gives?

Junior SCH Member
    On a 306 with ported Dart Sr heads, ported Edelbrock RPM intake, Anderson B21 cam, power pipe etc... I made the following boost:

7"-3.33" 10 psi
    7"-3.15" 12psi
    7"-2.95" 14psi
    8"-3.33 16-17psi
    8"-3.15 18-19psi

These psi are at 5800-6000rpm with a very tight belt.

The 8" crank pulley was the best thing I bought. You can get the Renegade pulley pack from Vortech for about $225. The pulleys also have a special finish to make the belt grab more. That includes 8" crank pulley, choice of 3 blower pulleys, tensioner and bracket, and belt. Great deal. The 8 rib gives you a lot more choice of belts over the 10 rib. I also glass bead my blower pulleys for more grip and it works. As far as over spinning the blower, i know guys that over spin by 10,000 rpm with no problems. Of course this is not the best way. The right size blower is always the best way to go. You always get some belt slip unless you go to a cog setup. I would not worry about a few thousand rpm over max blower speed.
    Last edited by underpsi68; 08-05-2004 at 09:29 PM. Reason: correction

If you don't mind can you explain glass bead the belt? that is'nt like sand blast is it?
    Jorge

Junior SCH Member
    Yes glass beading is like sand blasting. Instead of using sand they use glass. And its on the pulley, not the belt. Vortech does this on their Renegade pulleys.

Sorry my bad, i meant the pulley, past my bed time :) thanks for the info underpsi68
    Jorge

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by underpsi68
    On a 306 with ported Dart Sr heads, ported Edelbrock RPM intake, Anderson B21 cam, power pipe etc... I made the following boost:

7"-3.33" 10 psi
    7"-3.15" 12psi
    7"-2.95" 14psi
    8"-3.33 16-17psi
    8"-3.15 18-19psi

These psi are at 5800-6000rpm with a very tight belt.

The 8" crank pulley was the best thing I bought. You can get the Renegade pulley pack from Vortech for about $225. The pulleys also have a special finish to make the belt grab more. That includes 8" crank pulley, choice of 3 blower pulleys, tensioner and bracket, and belt. Great deal. The 8 rib gives you a lot more choice of belts over the 10 rib. I also glass bead my blower pulleys for more grip and it works. As far as over spinning the blower, i know guys that over spin by 10,000 rpm with no problems. Of course this is not the best way. The right size blower is always the best way to go. You always get some belt slip unless you go to a cog setup. I would not worry about a few thousand rpm over max blower speed.
    Good info, thanks for that underpsi68.

At what point did you take the pressures? At the discharge of the S/C, or off the manifold?

The reason I ask this is that I am getting around 14 Psi at the outlet of the S/C but only about 8 or 9 Psi at the manifold. My setup uses an air to air intercooler and I am concerned that I have a significant pressure drop across the cooler.

What really confuses me is that taking pressure at the manifold at moderate RPM, say 3000 rpm and low load I get an expected 5 psi at both at the S/C and manifold. Then when I stand on it, the S/C pressure climbs as expected with the RPM but the pressure at the manifold rises more slowly and peaks some 4 or 5 psi lower.

Does this suggest that the intercooler I have selected cant handle the flow?

Junior SCH Member
    If you are taking pressure before the intercooler you will not be getting an accurate reading. It should be taken after it. I have my hose hooked up to the vacuum tree on the fire wall that the brakes are hooked up to. I had it right after the throttle body but I was not getting true reading so I moved it to the tree and it works much better.

SCH Member
    Thats what I was afraid of. I got a good deal on a t-trim w/renegade brackets and pulleys. Im am installing it on a completely stock motor. I have the 8" crank pulley and I THINK its a 3.33 blower pulley - its plain black with no markings on it. Im going to see 20lbs, arent I? ;( BTW, I alos have an aftercooler.

Jeff