Thread: what kind of automatic transmissions do you guys sugggest for around 600 horses

what kind of automatic transmissions do you guys sugggest for around 600 horses

weekend driver and drag strip time not really driven too much on the streets though i looked at some of the AOD's on a link that IAN had but not sure what the difference in the 2 is and on the valve bodies ? and the torque convererts i guess just tryin to find out quite abit about what you all are running and what kind of power is behind it

Well needless to say I have just gone through this. I had 670 rwhp through my TKO. Just installed a Lentech AOD. www.lentechautomatics.com I got the strip terminator w/ transbrake. I also opted for the SFI Bell(extra $620):shocked: .

I got an Pro EDGE 3800 RPM stall. http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

I am the same type of driving. 4-5,000 miles per summer nice days only and a few trips to the track. I will be done with the transformation by beginning of next week. Well....I have been done..... but I put PS back in at the same time and the new rack I got was messed up. I should get it back in a few days and hopefully have some single digit passes under my belt next Friday! Note my signature!!!!

I will let you know how it all works out. So far the little driving I did on and off the trailer it seems nice.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

One more thing. I got the NON-Lockup version of the strip terminator.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

what tko did you have i almost bought one from x2cmotorsports.com ,it was a rebuilit one or something differnt version 's they have sopposed to be good with a 800 dollar clutch

I had the original plain jane TKO.

I kept having to many problems with that much HP and 20 psi to where I finally decided to go to the AOD. I had some help from my lower HP buddies that kept spanking my @$$. :guess: Believe me I've been fighting this for a while. I can't wait to test it out.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

are you serious you had the plain jane one with almost 700 horses

that amazing

Yup, it help up great. Four years of over 500rwhp and one with near 700rwhp. It was never power shifted, but had many 4-5,000 rpm launches on slicks.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

i cant beleive it LOL

im not sure if i want to drop 3k on a tranny yet or not what do you think the street terminator is good for the ones that are 1200 and the 2k one

are those kits ready to go or do you still need to buy a torque converter and shifter any of those things

You need at least the street terminator PLUS. $2200 The Strip terminator is a much better HP handling beast though. I would call Lentech for the advise. They will lead you right.

-545 rwhp
    -1.42-- 60'

SCH Member
    I had an Art Carr AOD behind my 600+rwhp motor. I sold it a month ago and am now looking at a Performance Automatic Super Comp C4. I can honestly say, I'll never buy from Art Carr again. If I am ever given a free, brand new Art Carr tranny, I'll sell it cheap and not waste my time installing it. It you want an AOD, go with a Lentech. If you want a limetime warranty C4, go with Performance Automatic. If you want the best C4 (in my opinion), go with Dynamic.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FullAuto
    I had an Art Carr AOD behind my 600+rwhp motor. I sold it a month ago and am now looking at a Performance Automatic Super Comp C4. I can honestly say, I'll never buy from Art Carr again. If I am ever given a free, brand new Art Carr tranny, I'll sell it cheap and not waste my time installing it. It you want an AOD, go with a Lentech. If you want a limetime warranty C4, go with Performance Automatic. If you want the best C4 (in my opinion), go with Dynamic.
    Even if you just get a rebuilt C4, add an input shaft, cooler, brake and a good converter, it's a bad fast setup.

C4's are hard to beat for the money :)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

where is some links to some c4's that are ready to go im tryin to tink weather to go tko or auto i just dont know what to do