Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
what do you use to clean up the top of the pistons to knock off all that carbon off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you use to clean up the top of the pistons to knock off all that carbon off

what do you use to clean up the top of the pistons to knock off all that carbon off

them ill post a pic of what i mean

www.pimpn50s.com/images/carbon.JPG
    Last edited by adamf4i; 06-09-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    Use 'Chem-Dip' they have it some AutoZones, or use brakeparts cleaner?
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net

will that brake parts cleaner work pretty good and maybe get them shiny again LOL cause it seems kinda thick in spots

did you see the pik?

Senior SCH Member
    I use a toothbrush and brake cleaner. Also, those parts cleaning "toothbrushes" with the stiffer plastic bristles work pretty well too.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

A toothbrush and Carb cleaner works the best.

Junior SCH Member

wire wheel

wire wheel on a bench grinder works well.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Use Easy Off(Oven Cleaner) wait about 30 minutes and it falls if in huge pieces. IF you have a old oven they look new because it will even remove the stains if baked. Been using this for 20 years and has never failed me.
    Last edited by speedytang; 06-21-2005 at 03:54 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSNovi
    I use a toothbrush and brake cleaner. Also, those parts cleaning "toothbrushes" with the stiffer plastic bristles work pretty well too.
    If you use brake cleaner make sure it is the non-chlorinated type (green can)
    Because it will cause aluminum to crack!!!!
    It was in a F.A.A. directive for aviation mechanics

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I use Mercury Marine's (Quicksilver) Power Tune spray, it is a little pricey compared to ordinary carb cleaners, because you have to buy it from the local marine dealer, but with this stuff you get what you pay for, IMO.
    Chris

Senior SCH Member
    DON'T REMOVE IT!

That caron build up is an awesome thermal barrier for your engine. Once you remove it you need to build it back up again just to get to where you were before. This buildup is a good thing!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Oh...I can't wait to hear why you should not remove the carbon, I can make a list why you should but building and working with engines for 20+ years never heard the DON'T REOME IT before.

Senior SCH Member
    why do people coat pistons with coatings? Keep the heat in the combustion chamber and out of the piston. More heat used in the combustion process and kept out of the pistons = more power.

Now, if you scrape it off you will build a new coating but why? It is already there! Do you think your "new carbon" will be better then the old stuff?

Senior SCH Member
    Carbon = detonation
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    No, it does not block heat, it absorbs heat. And worse, if the carbon buildup gets heavy enough, it acts just like a diesel glowplug, causing preignition of the a/f mixture. Anyone who has experienced dieseling (run-on after shutting down) in an older carbed vehicle has experienced this problem!
    Chris

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSNovi
    Carbon = detonation
    OK, that does not make any sense. Why would carbon = detonation?

Detonation is the uncontrolled burning or self ignition of air/fuel. This is caused by either a component in the combustion chamber having a temperature adequate to ignite the air/fuel or by the combustion process heating the air/fuel enough to cause the detonation itself.

Since carbon is an insulator how would it cause detonation?

A sharp edge on a piston where a valve release is cut will cause detonation. Get a little carbon buildup on the valve relief in the piston and the edge is no longer sharp and it is insulated - ala less detonation!