Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
THROTTLE HANG UP?

Thread: THROTTLE HANG UP?

SCH Member

THROTTLE HANG UP?

I need some ideas on why my throttle is hanging up at about 5000rpm when I stab the throttle. It has don it to me twice now both times in the garage, luckily. I cant detect any hanups in the cables and the throttle body spring seems stiff enough to. I am thinking maybe the bypass valve isnt getting a good vacum/boost reference? Never had a problem last year. This years changes are a bigger cam, smaller blower pulley, 80mm holley tb, and a trick flow box R.

Senior SCH Member
    Less vacuum due to the cam?? The blowoff valve will only open when it sees vacuum. It will only see vacuum with the throttle closed.

Maybe try a higher rate throttle return spring.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Heh just make sure you get it fixed, the other day this guys throttle got stuck open and he freaked and was fishtailing around this road by a park in the neighborhood, almost wrecking into parked cars and us going the opposite direction, he finally banged into another slow moving car after he tried to correct a fishtail and came to a halt, but the damage was done to his front a-arms and wheels from slamming into the curb. Just don't want to see that happen to you.

SCH Member
    I see about 8 or 9 on the gauge at idle, I think I had 15 or so last year. I put the mighty vac on the blow off valve and it opens completly with just 4 inches. I was wondering though is there any adjustment I can make to the blow off valve that would make a difference? Its a standard procharger model. Do they make a stiffer spring for the throttle body or will I have to fab something?

I was talking to a guy at a car show a week ago with the same question. The bypass valve should take care of this possibly? I didnt know what to tell him for sure, but we did discuss the valve because it did not have one. Would this would be a good place to start?
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

Senior SCH Member
    Did you make sure that it isn't the mat or carpet in the car causing this? The same thing was happening to me and it ended up being the mat jamming the gas pedal down - and only at WOT.

Junior SCH Member
    My cruise control linkage would catch if I tapped the throttle fast. I put a spring on the end of it.

Senior SCH Member
    Check the TPS. That happened to me at the track, caused me to shift into third around 6500-7000rpm and kill the T5. I checked for EVERYTHING! It turned out that the TPS kinda locked the throttle blade open when I left for the last pass.
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net