Thread: Need some fuel pump / fuel system advice

Junior SCH Member

Need some fuel pump / fuel system advice

Hello all. Im in the midst of putting an S-trim on my 92 GT. It has a DSS 308 w/ ported Edelbrock Perfomers (2.02 / 1.60) , extrude honed Cobra intake, Wolverine 1087 cam w/ 1.7 rockers, BBK longtubes, 75mm TB, Pro-m 80mm, UPR Powerpipe, and a 255 in-tank pump. I had planned on installing the T-rex, but I read somewhere that it was not a good idea to put a T-rex in front of a 255 pump. I am going to be running 42lb injectors and hopefully no FMU. Is the 255 enough by itself? What about the high pressure 255? I'm hoping to make around 450 rwhp after a good tune, and I need a fuel system that is up to the task.

92stanglx
    i have a bbk inline pump in front of my 255 and it works fine. I would ditch FMU and have the car tuned with the 42's.

How much boost are you planning on running?

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92stanglx
    i have a bbk inline pump in front of my 255 and it works fine. I would ditch FMU and have the car tuned with the 42's.

How much boost are you planning on running?
    I'm guessing that with the power pipe, I'll be making around 10 pounds or so. I don't plan on running much more than that for now.

A couple weeks ago when I went to the dyno, there was a little uncertainty concerning the T-rex pump. My dyno shop -Kennedys Dynotune, has noticed in some cases the T-rex acting as a restriction. (BTW,I am also using a 255 in the tank.) We tried it hooked up and bypassed, and found it helped so we left it hooked up. The #s youre looking for are reasonable with 42s with your fuel pumps. I am maxed out at 589 RWHP with this set-up with the FMU hooked up. (and a custom chip of course) With your #s you probably wont need the FMU. If you want a deal on these injectors and the mass air meter to go with it check out www.buyfordracing.com They have the best prices on injectors and meters.
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the info. Anyone running a similar set up WITHOUT using the T-Rex? I've been researching this for a couple days and still get a lot of mixed reviews. 93GT, I take it that running your car with the T-rex disconnected had a noticable effect on your A/F ratio? Thx again

Yes, it had a negative effect on my A/F with the T-rex disconnected.
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

Junior SCH Member
    I finally maxed out my in-tank 255lph pump and have to step up to an inline now. I'm making 461/455 through an automatic and the pump can't keep up in the high rpms just before a shift. I also used an inline w/ a 255 in-tank pump before w/ no problems on another car. These are both Procharger pumps though and I hear theyr'e a little better than the t-rex.

Junior SCH Member
    Would a 190 intank and t-rex be enough for a s trim and about 10-12 psi? I already have a 190 intank and will soon be getting a s trim. Thanks
    91 LX Coupe 5.0, Built on 5/30/91, 1 of 91
    Light crystal blue met/black Int.
    AFR/FTI/Vortech S Trim Combo

Pics of my coupe

Junior SCH Member
    That would be just fine.
    Vortech'd '95 GT convertible AODE- 461rwhp/455rwtq running way too lean. 7.25@99.9mph

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Daniel.
    91 LX Coupe 5.0, Built on 5/30/91, 1 of 91
    Light crystal blue met/black Int.
    AFR/FTI/Vortech S Trim Combo

Pics of my coupe

I made 487 hp to the rear wheels and 466 rw torque with using stock lines,rails and a regular 255 in tank from Summit.(walbro) I had Murillo tune it and there was no sign of the car going lean at 5800 rpm's.