Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anybody had a Novi2000 go south on them?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody had a Novi2000 go south on them?

Anybody had a Novi2000 go south on them?

Tonight my Novi started making a noise it never made before. It makes this odd medium pitch "whirring" type of noise....almost like a cam gear drive in a way (nothing like the familiar gear whine noise that we're familiar with...it's a separate noise from that) Checked the normal stuff...made sure it was getting oil and draining properly. I'm guessing the rear impeller shaft bearing has gone bad on it as the sound is more pronounced when you put your ear near the inlet of the blower and is really loud when the inlet elbow is removed from the blower. Thankfully it's still under warranty but still pisses me off as this head unit has all of 2000 miles on it. Just wondering if anybody else had a similiar issue.

Junior SCH Member
    I had a bearing go bad on me a long time ago. Someone else started my car to move it at my old shop and accidentally over revved the engine. I think the lack of oil at first start caused the bearing failure. Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THE BLOWER APART YOURSELF! If you're sending back to paxton and if you did they will not even look at it. They just want to replace the whole unit. Also, Paxton is very fussy so be prepared. Make sure what you send you get back. Good Luck.

Thanks for the heads up....I've heard others mention the joys of dealing with Paxton when a problem arises. Rest assured I won't be yanking it apart. I pulled the blower last night and it definitely sound like a bearing.....you can hear it spinning it by hand. I'll be putting a couple "recognition" marks on the blower to make sure I get back what I sent. I even compiled a cd with two video files on iy of the sound it had last summer and the sound it has now to illustrate the unmistakeable fact that something's not right with it. Here's a vid clip of the sound it's making (1.8 mb)

Edited...new link to vid

http://s6.ultrashare.net/hosting/dl/a9102879e6871d65/
    Last edited by TheHawk05; 07-25-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Update on my blowers status: Called Paxton today for an update as they recieved it July 12th.

Verdict: They haven't even inspected the bloody thing yet. I was told sometime around the middle of next week they'll be getting to it. Not impressed so far.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHawk05
    Update on my blowers status: Called Paxton today for an update as they recieved it July 12th.

Verdict: They haven't even inspected the bloody thing yet. I was told sometime around the middle of next week they'll be getting to it. Not impressed so far.
    I feel your pain. I know what you are going through. The only good thing is that when they're done it will be perfect. I'm selling my Novi. Picked up a Vortech S-Trim kit brand new from E-Bay. It should be better for the street.
    Let me know how you make out. Mike

Junior SCH Member
    http://www.free-webster.com/users/t...mer%202005).avi

I would like to hear that clip. The above link does not work. If possible please e-mail to Jgoolish@comcast.net Thanks, Jeff

I'll repost it so as not to wipe out your e-mail as the file is 5mb. That dumb *** site I had it on dumped the link for some reason. I'll post back when it's up

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the repost. That blower doesn't sound half as bad as my Novi 2000. Are you running a blower bypass valve? Is that a 8 rib or 10 rib belt?

Standard Novi2000 for Mustangs....10 rib pullies and a bypass valve.

Latest update:

Called Paxton to find out if they've gotten around to inspecting my blower:

Told the unit was inspected and a bearing was found to be "notchy". Paxton claims this wouldn't have caused the noise I "claim" the blower makes. Supposed to call me back Monday after further inspection.

So a "notchy" precision bearing spinning on a shaft that revolves at very high rpm isn't gonna cause a noise? Yeah....OK. I guess the times I've heard notchy wheel bearings on cars howl like crazy was my imagination too.

Gut feeling: getting ready to argue with their service manager who will undoubtedbly claim nothing is wrong with it. :huytsao:
    Last edited by TheHawk05; 07-29-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Their customer service has always been great for me, whether asking technical questions, future development talk, and ordering/piecing together proper systems for customers cars. They are a big company so you gotta expect a couple days turnaround on checking something out. Plus if the blower was still producing boost + flow correctly and just a "noise" changed it really might only be something that would have been heard but not effected the blowers use. Be happy you dont have to deal with pro-leakers (lack of) customer service lol >>>>
    LX stang Vortech, C4, A/C, etc...

I expect a couple days time for turnaround but this blower has been off the car for just shy of a month and in their hands since July 12th and wasn't even cracked open for inspection until this past Thursday, July 28th......that's longer than I or what most people would expect in terms of customer service.....and they still have yet to give me an answer as to what they are going to do to fix the problem because when a blower goes from making the typical sound a Novi makes for close to 3 years to one that is completely different and louder than the engine itself, it's plainly obvious there is a problem. I wasn't about to leave it be and hope it went away risking further damage to the unit or my engine if something was on the verge of letting go. I've dealt with Paxton's and Vortech's on various cars for years and I've never heard one make the noise this one was making.

For the record.....you're the first person I've ever read on this board defend Paxton's customer service......I've read nothing but negative comments in regards to their customer service on this board.
    Last edited by TheHawk05; 07-31-2005 at 02:20 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Online you usually only hear bad stories about places, and usually theres alot left out of what really occured between the client + shop. Owning a shop I see this happen to alot of places, luckily not ours yet. I have dealt with paxton for years and I havent had any problems with their service or tech etc... so I can only go by my experiences. Hopefully you hear back from them and get some resolution with your problem, if not let me know cause I will be talking to them tomorrow anyway and I could try and throw it in there about it. Thanks- Kris -All Out Automotive
    LX stang Vortech, C4, A/C, etc...

Well as of today they still have yet to call me and tell what's going on with it....after being assured I'd be called this past Monday with a conclusion.

Edit: Update

I e-mailed Paxton this morning to see if I could get an update. Surprisingly (to me anyway) I got a quick response....

"All your blower is going to need is a minor repair which is bearings and seals, it should be finished by next week'
    Last edited by TheHawk05; 08-05-2005 at 11:12 AM.