Thread: School the NewB!

SCH Member

School the NewB!

Hello all, I've been a fly on the wall for a while but have decided to take the plunge and blow myself. :)

With that said, let me give you a little background. I've been going through my 91GT (paint, brakes, 6 speed, new Dart block powerplant) and have decided on a T trim. Only problem is since this is a driver, and more specifically, a driver in California smog testing is the norm every 2 yrs. I anose the T trim due to its potential and the fact it comes with an EO number stamped on the tag (please correct me if I'm wrong here). Since this is primarily a spirited driver (not a 1/4 miler or open tracker) I would like to make it easy yet fun to drive on the street (on California's 91 octane). I would like to stay with a ribbed belt setup, rather than a cogged setup. It just sounds like to many peeps are having problems and I think I'l have my hands full getting started anyway. What boost level are you guys running on a street (pump gas) tune anyway? I would eventually like to have the option to turn up the wick on 100 octane and play with the pullies a bit if I did ever take it to the dragstrip for fun. Please enlighten me!

SCH Member
    Boost is just a measurement. It depends on how efficient your motor is. We are going to need more information on your combo. I made 13psi on the dyno, but it was a short pull. I believe I am good to 14psi and maybe 15psi, but I run 93 octane. That is without my meth kit. A meth kit will let you get a few more psi on pump gas.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

SCH Member
    Well, I understand the boost versus engine efficiency idea but I was hoping for a ballpark range which you provided me with. Like I said earlier I have to deal with the ever strangling CA smog treatment and I do plan on running full smog gear (smog pump, 2 cats, etc.) just in case I ever did get caught under the gun. After all, I do have to pass a visual too.

As for my "planned" combo? I'm thinking a low compression 351-based stroker, most likely a 408". That way there's still plenty left if I ever need to upgrade ;). I have had good luck with my current AFR 165's but for obvious reasons I'll need to go with heavily ported 185's or most likely the AFR 205's. Only problem would be a way to mock up the hot air crossover tube in the back of the 205 heads, since they are not smog legal. I'll slap on a Vortech T trim for the extra "wow" factor and call it a day. I have heard about Snow's methanol kit and it does look promising but I doubt I would ever use it and I would plan accordingly with the tune (read: slightly fat tune - to accomodate the 100 degree summer temps around here).

My question of the day is in relation to intercoolers. Has/does anyone run an air to air intercooler with the Paxton or Vortech headunits? I just think it would be a much simpler setup instead of Vortech's aftercooler. What are your ideas?

Senior SCH Member
    I ran a 331 SB on pump gas (91) with 11# of YS trim (10-rib) boost and no intercooler. There was full smog equipment, and I put down about 440 to the wheels. It ran great as a street car, and was problem free. A year later, with the motor slightly wounded, I turned the boost up to 15# with 103 fuel. A few races later I had a split block on my hands. The motor was on its way out though, and the replacement was already in construction. I don't see why you would have any problem with similar boost levels on a Dart 408, though it would certainly be a monster. Depending on your location, there are plenty of people around that can help you better than me.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)