Thread: 2ND ASP SMOG ELIM FAILED!!!

2ND ASP SMOG ELIM FAILED!!!

I checked to see if i had an alignment problem which i don't. so i gutted a stock pump and put it on the car. I talked with Lee at ASP and told him this was the 2ND one and i thought the problem was using a alum. bushing between the bolt and the bearing which are both steel. the bushing becomes egg shape very quickly,and i'm able to wiggle the pulley back and forth, which makes a loud bearing noise when the car is running. If you notice there is only a spacer that the bolt goes thru into the alum. block, there is no support to keep the bolt from flexing,i.e.(launch, shifting) except this spacer and the fact that its a grade 5 bolt. He agreed that if the spacer has too much play it would cause the bushing to eggout. It was then that he admitted that they don't make those spacers in house and didn't know if the tolerances are an issue. He was going to check those spacers and see if there is a problem, i guess they did. He refunded my money. I know that all of you who have ASP's didn't experience the problems i did, be thankfull. I'm wondering if having big power steering pulley,cobra waterpump pulley is causing excessive tension on the belt?
    Jorge

Apparently the UPR eliminators are having the same problem. They last for about 8-12 months and crap out.

Senior SCH Member
    my buddies PS pulley juut came off his pump a week ago and toasted his pump shaft. Not good It was March 's puley I believe.
    1990 GT Convertible

I had one of my ASP smog pump elimitator pulleys go bad as well. I replaced it about 2 years ago, the bearing tolerances are starting to get loose again and I am getting play in the pulley. I may have my own pulley custom made to replace theirs.... Lee
    1988 5.0 Mustang,, 3" flair body kit, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, 347 FRPP Forged Stroker, Vortech V2 S-Trim SQ, FPS 200cc Alum Heads, Comp Blower Cam, G-Force T-5, Anderson Clutch,,, ect ect ect

POWDER & CERAMIC COATING - www.pristinepc.com
    SUPERCHARGER BELT TENSIONERS- www.elkperformance.com

I wanna get my kicks before the whole $hithouse goes up in flames -

Red92gt= The first one i drove the car about 30 miles, the second, i drove the car about 1 1/2 miles!!! If it would of lasted 8-12 months i would of considered it a good product at this point. lol :D Lee honestly i don't see how any of the smog eliminators could hold up without supporting the sideload on that pulley bolt/spacer especially on a 5spd car. build the alum block to eliminate that spacer, which then would utilize a short bolt thru the pulley into the one piece, thus reducing any chance for flex.
    Jorge