Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need help! Think I blew my first head gasket

Thread: Need help! Think I blew my first head gasket

Junior SCH Member

Need help! Think I blew my first head gasket

I noticed over the last few days that my car has been running hotter than normal, and I've also noticed what smells like exhaust in my radiator. Tonight I started my car after it had sat for about 10 minutes and there was a large puff of white smoke. It runs fine though, and it doesn't actually overheat. I think I'm gonna pull the plugs and try to pressurize the cylinders with compressed air and see if anything come out of the radiator. Any other suggestions? What head gaskets are you guys running? Also, can I re-use my ARP head bolts? I just recently got the car running with a new S-trim. I checked it with a W/B o2 sensor and it's actually rich, about 11.7:1. I'm thinking I might have hurt the head gasket with my last set-up (Powerdyne with 30lb injectors instead of 42lb, no FMU)

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    ARPs can be used again and it does sound like you took out a head gasket. You don't have listed how much boost your making to what gasket make or cost.

Junior SCH Member
    Well, I pulled out the #2 spark plug and sure enough coolant started coming out of the spark plug hole. I have the cylinder head taken off, I'll get the other one off tomorrow. The gaskets were Fel-pro, and they've been on the engine since I assembled it 4 years ago. The engine is a DSS 308 with Edelbrock Performer heads. Any suggestions on a head gasket? I don't want to have to do this again any time soon. Thanks Oh, and I'm currently making about 9 psi. I want to eventually make about 12 with a different pulley set-up

Make sure to get the head checked for straightness before you put it back together. As for gaskets....you can spend a little or a lot. Fel-Pro 9333 PT-1's are good, Ford Racing B-51's are good. Or you can spend $150 for a set of Cometic MLS or Fel-Pro MLS gaskets....those are both real tough.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    A graphite-faced steel core gasket is the best bang for the buck for aluminum heads on iron blocks. The graphite allows movement due to different rates of heat expansion of the different metals. Lots of them to choose from out there, they all work well - some favorites are the Ford/svo B51, Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal, Vic Reinz/NAPA Nitroseal, are all pretty good.

If you decide to go with a tougher MLS (multi-layer steel) type of gasket, they are going to cost alot more, and they are less forgiving of a missed tune than the graphites.

Speaking of tunes, one might wager that you were running a little too much timing, unless your gaskets weren't installed properly, or your cooling system isn't up to snuff. You need to cure whatever illness caused the blown gasket, and not just treat the symptom of the illness - installing better gaskets.
    Last edited by fanglemeister; 07-06-2005 at 12:20 PM.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks guys. I think I'm leaning toward a set of Cometics. I'll be taking it straight to the dyno this time to get it tuned once it's up and running. I think I must have damaged the head gasket with my last set-up. I think the 30lb injectors with no FMU were just to small. I'm only running 10 deg. base timing and I'm using a 6 BTM. I currently have 42lb injectors, properly calibrated Pro-M 80mm, 255 in-tank, and a T-Rex. As for the cooling system, I'm running a big aluminum radiator, 180 t-stat, stock water pump and pullies. I'm also going to go with an Autolite 63 plug this time instead of the 64. Thanks again