Thread: How much retard

SCH Member

How much retard

How much retard do I need to dial in for 8 psi of boost?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    19 total at WOT and add 1 additional degree for every 1 point in octane over 91.
    91 octane - 19 degrees, 92 octane - 20 degrees etc......

Junior SCH Member
    do you mean to tell me that with 116 octane (which is 25 points higher than 91 octane) that one would be able to add 25 degrees to their 19 degrees total base tune? that would put you somewhere like 44 degrees total timing!:shocked: this cannot be correct...can it? :shocked:

At 8psi that would be correct. This is also why a Water/Meth unit is great for a blower. With the octane you gain with Meth I have seen cars running full timing at WOT at 15psi . At 10psi I run 38 degrees of total timing with 108 octane on my Mustang and still no detonation and my A/F ratio is perfect. Check with others since different head designs and cam can cause differences but the best way is to have a tuning session if you think your at risk.

SCH Member
    Ok if im running stock timming 10 degrees how much timming is the computer adding at WOT ? Im still trying to figure this out.

If it is a Mustang 5.0 it adds 16 degrees and as much as 26 degrees at WOT. I have seen the car at WOT with a A9L computer have a total of 42 total degrees.

Junior SCH Member
    when you guys talk timing, such as 19 or 21 degrees, you mean 19 or 21 degrees plus the 10 degrees of initial timing, right? this would be 29 or 31 degrees of total timing?

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blwn,strkd,&inj
    when you guys talk timing, such as 19 or 21 degrees, you mean 19 or 21 degrees plus the 10 degrees of initial timing, right? this would be 29 or 31 degrees of total timing?
    Well I base timming like 10 degrees or 14-16 degrees is what your timming is at idle. After that the computer adds timming depending on whats going on with the throttle. I just don't know how much.

That is total timing at WOT. 10 base and the EECIV adds 16 degrees