Thread: Need some help with a pushrod problem

Junior SCH Member

Need some help with a pushrod problem

Well I was putting my engine back together after blowing a head gasket and I discovered a bent pushrod. It looks like its been bent for a little while based on the wear on it. I"m planning on buying a new set now. The ones I have are only 6.25 inches. I was wondering what the lenth a stock 5.0 pushrod is. Also wondering what pushrods you guys are using. As far as I can tell, there is only one bent, and its on a different cylinder from the one that blew the head gasket. I'm have Edelbrock Performers, 1.72 rockers, and a Wolverine 1087 cam. Thanks

Your best bet is to get a push rod length checker and make sure its right.

When you mill or change cylinder heads or deck the block it changes the length. Its not worth it to have bad valve geometry, get them measured to make sure you get good life from your valve guides and other valve train components.

I used a 6.350 push rod on my old 306 combo.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph