Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
front seals?

Thread: front seals?

Senior SCH Member

front seals?

I know how to tear down the ball drive unit, but I do not know how to pull the front of the supercharger apart? How do you replace the front seal behind teh pulley?

Senior SCH Member
    Take pulley off, pry seal out, replace and tap in carefully with a piece of pvc pipe of the correct dia, if memory serves, it's an outside flanged seal. Someone will correct if memory faulty...:)

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    Do you have to purchase the seal from paradise wheels or can you get one at a parts store?

Senior SCH Member
    It's a standard seal, again, if memory serves...

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    Cool, I wonder if I'm getting oil on my belt which is causing some slippage?

Senior SCH Member
    Would not be impossible in this big, wide world...:)

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    Now, does the shaft the pulley sits on go out toward the the pulley or towards the back of the charger?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Toward the back of the charger, and you can use a simple carparts store seal.
    The SN93 is somewhat different then for example SN89.
    My SN93 when opened up and pulley off, you can take the front shaft + oil pump asembly out in one peace, the SN89 however you must take oil pump assembly apart witch is very simple but different from the SN93, I don't know about the other ball drives dough.

Check this drawing :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...build/expl.jpg

and my pic's of my SN93 in peaces before VR4 upgrade:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v129/p...ton%20rebuild/
    Last edited by pavement pounde; 08-15-2005 at 02:45 PM.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Senior SCH Member
    pavement pounde, I have the sn 2000. Now my front case holds the pump and the brass ball drive unit. How do I get that unit apart and what part number do I need for the front seal? I have been getting a rusted oil like leak from behind the pulley. I wonder if that is contributing to my belt slippage?

Thanks for the help!

Senior SCH Member
    Well, somthing very interesting. I called Craig @ Paradise and told him of my rusty oil like leakage. Turns out my pulley was not on tight enough which will cause this symptom. No leak after all!:D

Interesting !
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.

Senior SCH Member
    Wierd, what? So, tightening the bolt swells up the shaft enough to seal the leak, hmmm? Makes me wonder what other little idiosyncratic design issues are present here.

I'm glad it worked for you but, this makes no sense whatsoever from a design standpoint.

F=MA

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    Wierd, what? So, tightening the bolt swells up the shaft enough to seal the leak, hmmm? Makes me wonder what other little idiosyncratic design issues are present here.

I'm glad it worked for you but, this makes no sense whatsoever from a design standpoint.

F=MA
    Yea I agree??? When I put my pulley on, I did tighten it, but not while I had the belt holding the pulley. So I just secured it, so WE WILL SEE. It did not make much sence to me either. What ever was leaking, it was a rusty color type oil? :weird:

You not forget to use Locktide ?
    Greets, Marco

Senior SCH Member
    The only way I can envision this is if the shaft was gun drilled and threaded but, if memory serves, it wasn't on my SN-93. The only fluid is the ATF.

F=MA