Thread: Which FMU to buy? Vortech Super FMU,Cartech

Junior SCH Member

Which FMU to buy? Vortech Super FMU,Cartech

Hello,first post here :)

I bought a used Vortech kit and it didn't come with an FMU. So what I'm wondering is,what direction should I go? Should I buy a Vortech Super FMU,or buy a complete custom chip burnt set-up?

I'll be installin a high pressure 255 Walbro in-tank

Mods are to be: Stock 302 longblock with Vortech pushin 8-10lbs of boost.Will be using stock cam also. Have a GT-40 Intake and 65mm throttle body yet to be installed. Mass air is stock as are 19# injectors yet.

Thanks for any help

Senior SCH Member
    Personally I would get larger injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a calibrated MAF. If I Then had issues I would have a chip burnt. But I would not go FMU. You may be able to get away with 36 pounders. If you go with anything bigger (injectors - alows future upgrades) the odds of the car needing a tune greatly increases, but you never know.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Alex,

I've got a 255 high pressure pump bought,gonna go with 36lb injectors like you said and top it off with mass-air meter & fuel pressure regulator. We'll see how things go after all this is said and done:)

Senior SCH Member
    A thing I did forget is try to pick up a wideband 02 kit. This will tell you if your air fuel ratio is OK.

Junior SCH Member
    yup,you got a good point there,which of the many available do you use? :)

Senior SCH Member
    I picked up a PLX300 and it works great.