Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
-intercooler piping to +velocity?

Thread: -intercooler piping to +velocity?

Senior SCH Member

-intercooler piping to +velocity?

I am about to install a VR-4 on my stang and I have a dilemma... The outlet is 3" and the max boost is approx 10-14 psi. I want to run my intercooler, but I am scared of the boost loss so I was thinking that I could run a reducer right out of the supercharger to neck it down to 2.5 (which is the in/out size of my intercooler) and run that to the carb. Or, I could run the 3" all the way to the intercooler while the air is still hot, and then, after the intercooler, neck it down where the air is cooler and trying to slow down.
    Think this would work or would it be too much of a restriction on 1600 cfm's?
    Thanks,
    Jesse
    89 LX Coupe: 306, TFTW, TF stage 1, Vic Jr, 750dp, longtubes, 4R70W 3k Edge, 3.73's, QA1 coilovers/k-member/CC plates, Crane HI-6/TRC-2
    7# times: 1.56 7.44@93 11.72@112
    NA times: 1.86 8.24@84 12.97@104
    baseline in progress.

And the shakedowns begin...

SGT USMC Infantry 3x Veteran

I would neck it down as far as possible from the SC. Like you mentioned after the intercooler.

I am by no means a pro at this thought
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Forget the intercooler you won't see that much power increase and the 2.5psi drop not worth it when you can run Water/Meth Injection that sprays into the carb and gain a real increase. You can add 15degrees total timing easy with water injecton and you will never get that with a intercooler.

Senior SCH Member
    True, but I just don't like the idea of having to worry about running out of water. That's my only concern, I want something I can drive to the track, run it, open the hood, run again, then drive home....after the initial months of tuning of course.
    Jesse
    89 LX Coupe: 306, TFTW, TF stage 1, Vic Jr, 750dp, longtubes, 4R70W 3k Edge, 3.73's, QA1 coilovers/k-member/CC plates, Crane HI-6/TRC-2
    7# times: 1.56 7.44@93 11.72@112
    NA times: 1.86 8.24@84 12.97@104
    baseline in progress.

And the shakedowns begin...

SGT USMC Infantry 3x Veteran

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    2 quart bottle will last a long time. It does not come on usually till 4psi and I would go all week on a fill of water and would carry a washer bottle around till I found a 1 gallon washer bottle. I have not had a unit for 4 years but am getting ready to install a newer improved setup in the next 2 weeks and I will report back on this topic.

Remember too, when you foot is not in it, you won't be using any of the water. Plus they make big gallon size container now and can add a low fluid warning light.
    351 "stockshort block": -Vortech T-trim (21 psi), Trick Flow Heads, Lunati Cam, Weldon fuel system, Lentech AOD., 3.55 gears, 27" Hoosier QTP's, 3500# with me

-545 rwhp
    -10.02 @ 135mph---Is 9.99 to much to ask?:freaks:
    -1.42-- 60'
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    Since when do they let Homo's with 700rwhp that run 11's be a SCH mod? :shocked: :obscene: :D

Theyre correct! I bring a mixed gallon with me to the track, and hardly ever use any of it! I noticed in an article today that Snow performance is offering a tank sensor, so there you go! It works that great, and damn if it isnt WAY cheaper than the other route!
    347 J trim, Kennedys custom cam, and water/meth injection, Electromotive GT DFI
    www.momsracing.com

Junior SCH Member
    yeah, it's not like nitrous where it's $40+ per bottle fill. you can get a gallon of the methanol mix for under a buck.
    Black 2001 Mustang GT

Vortech V2-SQ aftercooled kit. Lots of custom parts made by me