Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
-intercooler piping to +velocity?

Thread: -intercooler piping to +velocity?

Senior SCH Member

-intercooler piping to +velocity?

I am about to install a VR-4 on my stang and I have a dilemma... The outlet is 3" and the max boost is approx 10-14 psi. I want to run my intercooler, but I am scared of the boost loss so I was thinking that I could run a reducer right out of the supercharger to neck it down to 2.5 (which is the in/out size of my intercooler) and run that to the carb. Or, I could run the 3" all the way to the intercooler while the air is still hot, and then, after the intercooler, neck it down where the air is cooler and trying to slow down.
    Think this would work or would it be too much of a restriction on 1600 cfm's?
    Thanks,
    Jesse
    89 LX Coupe: 306, TFTW, TF stage 1, Vic Jr, 750dp, longtubes, 4R70W 3k Edge, 3.73's, QA1 coilovers/k-member/CC plates, Crane HI-6/TRC-2
    7# times: 1.56 7.44@93 11.72@112
    NA times: 1.86 8.24@84 12.97@104
    baseline in progress.

And the shakedowns begin...

SGT USMC Infantry 3x Veteran

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    I think it is a restriction to go from 3" to smaller, that is also why I am looking for another carb/tbi hat becouse mine Paxton tbi hat is aprox 2 ".
    But on the other hand the SC is forcing the air trough.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You are in a battle with intake heat and going to smaller pipe would just cause your intercooler to be cooling the heat you just manufactured by reducing the inlet.
    Can we say Water/Meth Injection....I think I have heard this before..LOL