Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Belt dust

Thread: Belt dust

Senior SCH Member

Belt dust

picture says it all! Should I reduce my ball drive tension? I was running 54 inch/lbs. Maybe to 48?

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    I have about 48 inch/pound and stil belt dust, even with an extra pulley to give more blower pulley wrap, but I am scared to overtension the belt due to crank breaking.
    So I leave it thatway.
    I do want to try a Gatorback belt later.
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

Senior SCH Member
    I tried to post a pic, but it didnot work. The gator back seems to grip a little better, but when it slips, IT SLIPS! I would get a 10psi then drop to 7 psi with the napa belt, the gator back would hold to 10.5 but drop to 5psi when it slipped. I have a ton of dust on my charger! thinking of dropping my ball drive tension to 48in/lbs from 54.

Junior SCH Member
    how are you guys checking your belt drive tension and what roughly should i set mine at...thanks

Senior SCH Member
    ball drive tension is what we are talking here. The tension in inch/lbs of how much it takes to turn the pulley without a belt on the charger.

SCH Member
    Craig,

Have you thought of getting your pulley machined with those slots in it that is supposed to help belt grip?

Senior SCH Member
    slots?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    He is talking about what we discussed a couple of weeks ago. They drill thru the side into the pulley surface which gives the pulley grip and allows air to escape from under the belt to allow traction. I seen these pulleys sold everyplace last year and now can't even find a picture.

SCH Member

You could set one up in a milling machine and do it right. I would try to do it on my own and probably screw it up :laugh:
    Last edited by Red350DropTop; 08-04-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Senior SCH Member pavement pounde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red350DropTop
    http://tinypic.com/9zrg3n.jpg

You could set one up in a milling machine and do it right. I would try to do it on my own and probably screw it up :laugh:
    Same here :guess:
    But that looks pretty drastic to me :shocked:
    Where to buy 1 ?
    Greets, Marco
    '91 Chevy 496SS, Edelbrock Pro-flo 2 injection, alu. GMPP heads, blowercam, coolmist water injection, turbo in the works.
    *VIDEO* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOdXg0TOdw

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Thank You for the picture....
    It was getting harder to explain everytime someone ask...
    Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    Reichard Racing may have been the first to make those, not sure if anyone else has started too. Heres a list of their distributors: http://www.reichardracing.com/current_distributors.php

Senior SCH Member
    Ok, got my ball drive tension @ 48 dry. We will see if any change next week when I put her on. Got finals this week:( I'm hoping that droping my ball drive tension from 54-56 to 48 will allow for less belt slippage and more boost.
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 08-08-2005 at 10:28 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    Well, running it at 48 inch/lbs I could only make 7 psi! Time to tighten it up to 54 again.